Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spinning in a C152 - beyond immediate recovery

Krister

Edit: the below was written without seeing the post from Alex below with which I agree entirely!

I seem to recall your writing:

The Cirrus, to my knowledge, was never tested to demonstrate this capability

The certification report I referred you to would appear to contradict this.

In answer to your question: I have not flown a C172 nor a PA 28 but have flown a C150 Aerobat in which I did aerobatic and spin training. As far as handling a stall goes, I think that my SR22 is harder to provoke into a stall and similar in its recovery: both are easy. As I said before, I haven’t spun a Cirrus because you are not allowed to do so deliberately. I don’t know if you are allowed to spin a PA28 or C172?

In answer to your other question, there have been examples of base to final stall / spin accidents in Cirri as there have been in other marques. The demonstrated loss of altitude in a one turn spin in a Cirrus is 960 ft, so if you do enter a spin on a base to final turn you are in trouble and CAPS won’t really help you although I guess you’d be struggling to recover any aircraft in those circumstances. Contrast this with demonstrated successful real world CAPS saves from under 500 ft in non-spinning situations.

To answer your question about teaching stall / spin avoidance IN A SPECIFIC TYPE: assuming the type is not approved for spins, you can teach stall avoidance by learning stall recovery, part of which is recognising how the aircraft behaves and feels when entering a stall. It is no coincidence that demonstrating this is part of both the PPL and IR check rides, the IR obviously being done in actual IMC or under the hood. If you know what the aircraft does as it is about to enter the stall, you can take power and attitude actions to avoid it: avoid the stall, avoid the spin.

Other than using a full motion simulator, and who knows how real that is in a spin but which by the way in my experience is a great way of practising emergencies of all types, you can only learn to avoid the stall which is a principal component of a spin.

Still: at least we have moved on from the claim that the only way to break a stall in a Cirrus is to pull the chute.

Some questions for you:

1. How many Cirrus hours do you actually have?

2. Have you ever flown a check ride of any kind in a Cirrus? if not, have you practised stalls in one? From your earlier post I must assume you haven’t done either.

3. I have quoted a public domain source for my assertion about spin certification. What are the sources for your assertions?

I am sorry to be so argumentative about this but, as I said in my earlier post, this kind of old wives tale does irritate me.

On a more positive note: I see that you’re based in Sweden but, if you ever get to the UK, I would like to offer you a standing invitation to come and fly my SR22 with me and see exactly how it behaves when you stall it in any configuration you like.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 28 Dec 20:13
EGSC

Not unusual for an unintentional flick if a pilot pulls too many Gs on the backside of a loop – hence aircraft wings which burble at the stall margin and give nice feedback, in any attitude, are to be prized.

A spin can result from many scenarios, many more than are explored in a typical one or two sortie spin training exercise.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

YES, most versions of the C-172 can be spun – not so PA-28

Wow, I should’ve left the SR20 well alone in retrospect.
No, I don’t have any stall experience in the SR20, but in about 20 other types. Does that count?

Thank you for the invitation, I just might take you up on that offer. I flew an early example back in 2001 or so but we never did any stalls.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

;-) Yes, we’re only waiting for victims like you :-)

I’ve flown the VERY first SR20 prototype in January 1996, and I remember how impressed I was with the really docile stall characteristics. Then I flew one of the next prototypes, still before certification and then (if I remember correctly) i flew the first SR22 in Europe at Eelde/Nl. We alwas did slow flights and stall for the magazine reports and I was always impressed with the behaviour in the stall.

Be grateful Kristel you got the invitation from Jonzarno and not from the omnipresent Cirrus God himself (Rick Beach)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Victim? Should be a complete non-event right?
I’m expecting to be able to sleep my way through these exercises after today’s debate.

Peter, what’s the TB20 like? I can’t remember how the TB10 felt it’s nearly 20 years since I flew one last.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Be grateful Kristel you got the invitation from Jonzarno and not from the omnipresent Cirrus God himself (Rick Beach)

Keep trying, Peter: one day you might get him to post here ;)

For those that don’t know him, Rick Beach is the leading expert in Cirrus safety in the World. He has studied every single Cirrus incident and accident in depth, personally interviewing most of those that have survived them. He has sat through at least one US Court case arising from them and published a balanced report and conclusions from it. Frankly, the arguments presented so far do not really really represent “an adversary worthy of his steel” ;).

Until they do, the invitation I made in the interest of all of us who are interested in making GA safe, fun, enjoyable and useful stands.

EGSC

No, I don’t have any stall experience in the SR20, but in about 20 other types. Does that count?

Of course it does, it’s more types than I have flown and I respect that. But it doesn’t entitle you to make claims about the SRXX that are neither supported by known facts nor your own direct experience.

EGSC

I’m expecting to be able to sleep my way through these exercises after today’s debate.

I don’t think I’d want to sleep through them in any aircraft but if you can sleep through them in a C172 or PA28, I wouldn’t want to disturb your rest if you chose to try it in a Cirrus as well ;)

You’re obviously a bolder pilot than me…….

EGSC
Sign in to add your message