Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spinning in a C152 - beyond immediate recovery

Nope it sure as hell doesn’t, and I don’t think I’m qualified to make any judgement on any aircraft in that sense.
That wasn’t my intention if you read the original post.
My intention was to discuss how we should approach the stall avoidance training when some of the newer types on the market are in fact not as docile as previous training machines and I named 2 types that I have stalled inside out and 1 which on paper appears to be lethal, as it even “requires” a parachute to recover… That was my mistake.

I’m not trying to inflate myself here, I’m trying to learn from other people’s opinions on the training procedures.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

My intention was to discuss how we should approach the stall avoidance training when some of the newer types on the market are in fact not as docile as previous training machines and I named 2 types that I have stalled inside out and 1 which on paper appears to be lethal, as it even “requires” a parachute to recover… That was my mistake.

Thanks for your post: equally, my argument has been that the Cirrus is not the death trap that someone accepting your original argument might have thought was the case.

As I said in an earlier post, the best way to achieve the objective you state on any aircraft is to approach stall avoidance training by exploring the stall characteristics in controlled circumstances, under the supervision of a qualified instructor, and learning how the airplane recovers. And it doesn’t matter whether you’re flying a C172, a PA28, a Cirrus an F16 or a 747.

EGSC

Peter, what’s the TB20 like?

It’s a superb handling aircraft, with no apparent vices. Full aileron control right into the stall buffet.

If you talk of spinning, I don’t know, and I don’t know anybody who has ever managed to spin one. It has big strakes under the tail so should be hard to get to spin. You have to be practically asleep to stall it, and then some extra effort would be needed to spin it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For at least one Trinidad pilot, benign low speed handling must be quite useful: this week I was at Jesenwang Airport (near Munich) and a guy there has a TB21 that he operates out of 1425 ft runway length, at 1860 ft msl. Blew my mind a bit.

TB20 takeoff perf
TB20 landing perf

The TB21 should be the same, actually a bit better at altitudes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can do that with the SR22 too, the t.o. distance is really short. It’s more the landing to care about but I am slowly getting to these short distances. Boscomantico does it all the time :-)

Thanks Jonzarno.

That’s pretty much the way it is being done today, with focus on recognition and avoidance of a stall.
The one thing that concerns me is that the SEP class rating allows you to fly anything within the class without formal training, and some of the types you may encounter are not so forgiving. Tomahawk comes to mind.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Tomahawk comes to mind.

And Airbus………

EGSC

Yes indeed, although one would expect pilots of busses to have some training on the bird at least…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

the SEP class rating allows you to fly anything within the class without formal training

Not true, of course. In most instances, a differences training is required (where VPP, RG, Turbo, TW, EFIS, etc. come into play).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message