Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instructing with OML Restriction

Hello guys and gals,

I’m digging up this post because I’m in a similar situation and I would greatly appreciate help from people with knowledge about the OML/OSL subject.

I’m a french pilot and I have been subject to FAF medical admission then re approval for 5 years, then class 1 civil for 7 more years until late 2013.
But I’ve been recently discovered a hidden electrical heart problem, with absolutely no apparent symptoms. I have a normal life, doctors just can’t prove I’m have same risk as normal population, so my class 1 have been restricted to OML and my class 2 to OSL.

I already have a valid FI (a), 100h instructing and 25 solo supervised done, so “full” FI with no restriction about it.

I would like to know what can I exactly do with OML and OSL restrictions, or where to find accurate and up to date informations about it.

Examples :
- PPL instructing is allowed after first solos ? Or does the students need to have the PPL/LAPL to let me instruct them (students building hours for a modular CPL)
- instructing navigation for PPL is allowed ? Post 1st navigation only?
- CPL instructing is allowed when student know/ doesn’t know the aircraft ? Have to be PPL (like modular atpl) or ab-initio students, post solos are allowed ?
- Am I allowed to become captain on a type rated aircraft ? ( I have no OCL restriction)

I am living a nightmare since my problem was discovered and moreover I stopped instructing because of it.
Recently I have been refused to do a selection for a First Officer candidacy in an airline because of the OML restriction… It scares them or they refuse to take responsability…
I would like to clear the things out because I need to know if ever will be employed again to be instructor in GA or first officer on a multi crew aircraft to do medevacs or public transport.

Thanks for your time, I hope to get some informations.

EDIT : I looked at the UK CAP 804 texts, inside which I found the “Table 1 Flight instruction allowable by Aeroplane Instructors with a Class 1 medical certificate with OML” : Link
Problem is I don’t know if there is some equivalent document for thr french authority, aka the DGAC (CAA) ???

Last Edited by GBE93 at 12 Jul 02:31

Thanks - really helpful post which I have only just spotted! Most appreciated - and I will.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Whiskey Bravo,

Class 1 OML no longer relates to Class 2 priveledges as it used to If you look at the EASA Medical certificate it clearly states

Class 1 OML relates only to Class 1 priveledges

Unrestricted Class 2 is shown separatley and has its own standards which can be applied and managed by the AME in many cases with out reference to Gatwick (This wasnt the case pre EASA)

The guidance in Cap 804 and Matrix PURELY relates to Instruction and examing where you require Class 1 priveledges ie commercial training

In a nutshell a PPL/CPL Licence holder with Instructor rating and Unrestricted Class 2 Medical you can instruct and examine for remuneration with out restrictions up to and including PPL and all associated Ratings

If Class 1 priveledges are required i.e Instucting Commercial students then CAP 804 guidance becomes relevant

As previous responder wrote i wouldnt suggest further clarification unless you want more stringent requirements adding to recreational instruction

I was told at time of my re issue that under EASA regulations unrestricted instruction was absolutely fine on that basis they wanted me just to have Class 2 to continue my activites so AME could manage me with out Caa medics having to manage the OML side of things.

To be Frank ive thought about not renewing my Class 1 and getting rid of my CPL and just having PPL with Class 2 just to keep life super simple .

My view is crack on with with PPL instructing and examining and enjoy yourself and the money, in my view EASA has been very helpful, to Class 1 Oml holders who have unrestricted Class 2 medicals

Good luck and Fly Safe

Tumbleweed - thanks - this was exactly my thinking and my intention was only really to instruct PPL, so doesn't appear that it is an issue.

TBM - I see now what you are reading:

"The holder of a medical certificate with an OML shall only operate an aircraft in multi-pilot operations when the other pilot is fully qualified on the relevant type of aircraft, is not subject to an OML and has not attained the age of 60 years."

Flying your average SEP is not a "multi-pilot operation". Therefore, to fly an SEP for pleasure (I can't for commercial operations, single pilot of course) I fall back to my embedded and unrestricted Class II privileges (this is clearly stated on the medical).

The restriction which prevents one from flying single pilot at all, is an OSL (operational safety pilot) which is applied to a Class II.

Not confusing at all these regulations ;-)

EGBP, United Kingdom

So long as you have a valid Class II medical without any restrictions upon it, you can act as a Flight Instructor. It has been possible for the past 13 years, since the JAA removed the 3 classes of medical and reduced them to two. EASA has only changed the remuneration part.

There has always been a disparity between the two levels of medical because they are fundamentally for different purposes, Class 1 commercial and Class II recreational, with different risk factors applied. Don't expect it to be ironed out unless you want to apply more stringent requirements to recreational flying.

No confusion, different purpose, different requirement!

Whiskey Bravo - Every country has his own regulations. So you are not wrong, most probably, using them.

But the bible is:

For every EASA member.

Hoping I am wrong when reading from page L311/178.

TBM - I think this highlights the confusion. OML absolutely does not prohibit piloting of single pilot aircraft, however it does prohibit this during commercial operation operations which require Class 1 privileges (such as air taxi). Now with the advent of the renumerated PPL instructor, who is doing so on a Class 2 medical, the documented restrictions on what a Class 1 OML can do no longer make any sense, since my Class 2 is unrestricted.

It seems the knowledge in this area is quite limited, so when I get a more concrete answer I'll post it for everyone's benefit.

EGBP, United Kingdom

OML = Operational Multi-Crew Limitation

OSL = Operational Safety Pilot Limitation

see: UK CAA Limitations Guidance

YSCB

What does OML stand for?

KUZA, United States

It's quite obvious!!

From the Official Journal of the EU dated november 3, 2011. Réglement (UE) 1178/2011

MED.B.001 d) 1) ii)

ii) Le titulaire d’un certificat médical assorti d’une limitation OML ne peut piloter un aéronef que dans le cadre d’opérations multipilote, pour autant que l’autre pilote soit entièrement qualifié pour le type d’aéronef en question, ne soit pas l’objet d’une OML et n’ait pas atteint l’âge de 60 ans

You translate underlined words by "Only during Multipilot Operations".

That means that the pilot having a class 1 with OML is not allowed to fly Single Pilot Aircraft. As a result his/her FI and SEP qualifications become obsolete because an instructor is automatically Pilot in Command.

Do not confuse OML and OSL. OML is for Class 1, OSL for Class 2. Even UKCAA does!!!

It is wrong to consider OML as OSL (safety pilot mandatory for class 2) to allow a FI with OML giving instruction to after solo students or even giving any revalidation of any kind.

He/she, in this case, should ask a PPL instead of CPL, and a Class 2 with OSL instead of a Class 1 with OML.

So the after solo student could be considered as safety pilot.

TBM8
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message