Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Licence renewal instructor required

To me, the EASA examiner differences document regulates only -well, examiners.
It does not mention the option for CRIs and FIs according FCL.945 (or I don’t see it).

In addition to the revalidation of ratings, the NfL 1-1678-19 allows the revalidation of ICAO language proficiency levels.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Is this not identical to the entry in the EASA Examiner Differences Document?
Verlängerung: revalidation, Erneuerung: renewal.

London, United Kingdom

@Balliol:

I assume you are talking about FCL.1030 and FCL.945, and in this case, at least for the German authorities, you are incorrect.
There is this document which explicitly allows examiners to endorse a German license after successful proficency checks and assesments of competence for class, type and instrument ratings, and CRIs and FIs for class ratings if and when they did the refresher training with the applicant, provided the other conditions are fulfilled as well.

The original text is German only, unfortunately. I tried to provide a legible translation below.

1. Handeinträge durch Prüfer
Inhaber einer Prüferberechtigung nach FCL. 1000 werden gemäß ARA.FCL.200 Buchstabe c)
ermächtigt, nach Durchführung von Befähigungsüberprüfungen oder Kompetenzbeurteilungen
handschriftlich:
a. Eintragungen für Verlängerungen von Klassen-, Muster- und Instrumentenflugberechtigungen
gemäß FCL.1030 Buchstabe b Absatz 2,
b. Kreditierungseintragungen für den Instrumentenfluganteil gemäß Anlage 8 zum Teil-FCL
(Queranrechnung des Instrumentenfluganteils einer Befähigungsüberprüfung für die
Klassen- oder Musterberechtigung),
c. Eintragungen für Verlängerungen von Lehrberechtigungen gemäß FCL.1030 Buchstabe b
Absatz 2,
in Lizenzen vorzunehmen, die von einer deutschen Luftfahrtbehörde ausgestellt sind.

Endorsements by examiners
Holders of an examiner rating issued in accordance with FCL.1000 are entitled according ARA.FCL.200 c) to endorse licences issued by a German authority by hand after the completion of proficency checks or assesments of competence for:
a) revalidations of class, type and instrument ratings according FCL.1030 b) 2
b) crediting for the instrument portion according Annex 8 to Part-FCL (cross-crediting of the instrument portion of a proficency check for a class or type rating)
c) revalidations of instructor ratings according FCL.1030 b

The part regarding instructor’s rights is similar, but limited to the revalidation of class ratings in the aforemtionned circumstances.

Note also that only the applicant’s licence is required to be issued in Germany. The instructor/examiner is still required to send a flight report form and copies of both his and the applicant’s licence to the competent authority.
I hope this was helpful.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Peter the full text states the under 3 years with an instructor is only for SEP and TMG Class ratings

The UK permits Examiners to do licensing action (an admin function) to renew or revalidate ratings that are on the front of the licence – any reprint of your licence for any reason will move expired ratings to the back and the examiner cannot do the revalidation/renewal action. Other states do not even permit examiners to do any renewal/revalidation (LBA for one I think?).

Now retired from forums best wishes

a school is no longer required, if the rating lapsed less than 3 years ago

Worth a mention that the UK CAA doesn’t recognise this bit. For any IR that is expired (i.e. a year and a day) they want a course completion certificate. This is the case even if you have another (valid) ICAO IR; FCL740 covers that bit too. I have just been around this loop and the CAA here doesn’t understand this regulation… the IR I renewed in Aug 2018 has just arrived

The bit about the 3 years is true. Also a freelance examiner cannot renew an IR if the piece of paper doesn’t have the IR on it anymore e.g. because it was sent to the CAA for a PPL renewal / reissue and they saw the IR had lapsed and took it off. I reckon this is true for any license or a rating.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Retraining with an instructor out of an RTF/ATO should be allowed again.

Yes, a school is no longer required, if the rating lapsed less than 3 years ago. I had to bring that to the attention of our CAA this week because they refused to let a stand-alone instructor with a now void RF give the required refresher training. It turned out they were not trying to gold plate anything; they simply had not seen the reg’s update. EASA made Part-FCL updates 4 times in 2018 alone.

FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings
Regulation (EU) 2018/1119
(a) …
(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall take the following steps:
(1) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex;
(2) prior to the proficiency check referred to in point (1), take refresher training at an ATO, where necessary to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft. However, the applicant may take the training:
(i) …
(ii) at a DTO, at an ATO or with an instructor, where the rating expired for no more than three years and the rating was a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating or a TMG class rating.

Last Edited by huv at 16 May 20:51
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Thanks to Balliol of this forum I am now a pilot again.
I can highly recommend that anyone in need of reval or renewal drop him a line.

Forever learning
EGTB

You can wait until April 2018. Retraining with an instructor out of an RTF/ATO should be allowed again.

Paris, France

Is that really correct?

Yes it is, see FCL.740 and the corresponding AMCs.

Last Edited by tschnell at 13 Aug 21:15
Friedrichshafen EDNY

You must if your SEP has lapsed get a paper issued by an ATO or RTF saying that you don’t need any retraining, or that they have provided you with the required retraining before being allowed to take the proficiency check with an FE/CRE.

Is that really correct? Last time I looked, you could renew a JAA or EASA PPL after any length of time, with a flight with an Examiner.

The potential retraining issue is for an expired IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message