Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an FAA BFR be done in Europe with an EASA FI?

tmo wrote:

it is actually 12 months when you absolutely need a full IPC; the 6 months between when you can become current alone and the need for an IPC, you can regain currency with a safety pilot

This is correct.

chflyer wrote:

an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) is needed and that is functionally the same as an initial IR skills test (in EASA-speak).

I think you are ‘overstating’ the IPC.
It is a lot milder than an initial IR skills test. Rather it is basically a check as to whether you are still conversant/competent to fly IFR. It only involves two procedures – one precision, and one non-precision.
For this reason some people who have lapsed during the first 6 months – although they could ‘renew’ by flying the 6 procedures in the following 6 months with a safety pilot – often opt instead for an IPC because it is quicker, easier and cheaper especially in Europe. There should be nothing to be feared by those who are au fait with IR flying.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

I believe it is actually 12 months when you absolutely need a full IPC; the 6 months between when you can become current alone and the need for an IPC, you can regain currency with a safety pilot. See a BoldMethod article for reference.

Correct, except that you don’t need an IPC every 12 months. The IR is valid indefinitely as long as the rolling 6 months currency is maintained. Once your currency lapses, you have 6 months to re-establish it. After that you need an IPC. The 12 months you mention includes the time period when you are current.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter_G wrote:

I think you are ‘overstating’ the IPC.
It is a lot milder than an initial IR skills test. Rather it is basically a check as to whether you are still conversant/competent to fly IFR. It only involves two procedures – one precision, and one non-precision.
For this reason some people who have lapsed during the first 6 months – although they could ‘renew’ by flying the 6 procedures in the following 6 months with a safety pilot – often opt instead for an IPC because it is quicker, easier and cheaper especially in Europe. There should be nothing to be feared by those who are au fait with IR flying.

I tend to disagree. We could pull out the FAA IR test standards and IPC standards, and it may well be possible to find an instructor to do an IPC that only wants to see 2 approaches before signing you off, but a properly done IPC has more than just that. I do one occasionally just for the practice because the instructor who I use gives me a good workout of exercises that don’t normally get practised: partial panel unusual attitude recovery and approaches are just one example. The primary difference is that the initial test requires of course an IR DPE, whereas any CFII can give and sign off an IPC.

LSZK, Switzerland

Qalupalik wrote:

Any FPM should be sufficient. Here’s the directory https://www.faasafety.gov/FAASTApp/directory/default.aspx

I would rather be in contact with an FPM who is already familiar with the idea that a non-FAA instructor is acceptable, though, rather than having to explain it all (I don’t have your background in rule-wrangling to necessarily be able to convince one that it’s possible).

Andreas IOM

An IPC encompases a subset of the tasks that are accomplished on instrument check ride, but it is not a test and does not have a means of failing, so there is a difference in the pressure on the pilot. The pilot must demonstrate meeting all of the task(s) requirements, but it is more of a training exercise or dusting the cobwebs off of ones proficiency or lack their of. There have been only a very few instances where I was unwilling to provide an IPC endorsement on a flight, but in all cases, it was clear to the pilot involved that they needed more recurrent practice or training, and they always sought it. So a flight intended as an IPC that the instructor is unwilling to sign the endorsement is just entered into the logbook as a dual flight.

KUZA, United States

Any update on FR via Wings with an EASA FI/FE? Does it work only through a skill test, PC or AofC or can be done as an ad-hoc flight with a simple FI?

maximus610 wrote:

Any update on FR via Wings with an EASA FI/FE? Does it work only through a skill test, PC or AofC or can be done as an ad-hoc flight with a simple FI?

Not quite sure what you mean by an “update on FR”. An FAA flight review is similar to what @NCYankee describes for an IPC. It is not a test and there is no pass/fail. The pilot just needs to meet the performance requirements, and success is documented by an FAA-certificated instructor (CFI). Normally this is entered in the pilot’s log book. Besides the pilot’s name/FAA certificate number, the entry needs to include a standard phrase about satisfactorily completing a flight review according to FAR 61.56 along with the instructor’s signature, FAA certificate number, and expiry date. So an EASA FI would need to also be an FAA CFI to meet this requirement.

I do not believe that an FAA flight review can be completed without any actual flight (i.e. Wings ground study only). The Wings exercises can fulfill the ground/theory portion of the flight review.

LSZK, Switzerland

The contention in this thread though is the flight part of Wings can be done by any instructor, not just an FAA CFI.

Andreas IOM

chflyer wrote:

I do not believe that an FAA flight review can be completed without any actual flight (i.e. Wings ground study only). The Wings exercises can fulfill the ground/theory portion of the flight review.

I agree with your opinion. 61.56 Flight Review language for the Wings program states:

(e) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.states in part:

a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is authorized within the limitations of that person’s flight instructor certificate and ratings to train and issue endorsements that are required for:

(7) A flight review, operating privilege, or recency of experience requirement of this part;

I interpret item (7) includes signing an endorsement for the flight training provided in the Wings program as specified in AC No: AC 61-91J which states:

h. Authorization for Completing WINGS Tasks. An authorized instructor can record
completed tasks of WINGS not recorded automatically at www.FAASafety.gov in a logbook or
other proficiency record with an endorsement similar to the following. This provides verification
for later recording at www.FAASafety.gov by an authorized individual:
“I certify that (pilot’s name), holder of pilot certificate No. XXXXX, has satisfactorily
demonstrated proficiency in the required tasks as outlined in the WINGS—Pilot Proficiency
Program, activity number XXX on (date).”
“Instructor Name, Certificate Number, Expiration Date, and Signature”

To get into the instructor portion of the Wings program, you have to be an FAA certified instructor.

The section authorizing training credit from flight instructors is limited to training for a pilot certificate or rating and does not include the certification endorsement privilege:

61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:
(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either—
(i) The United States; or
(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.
(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.

One could send a request to the FAA General Counsel to get a definitive answer.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

To get into the instructor portion of the Wings program, you have to be an FAA certified instructor.

But according to this:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/instructors/9823-can-an-faa-bfr-be-done-in-europe-with-an-easa-fi?page=2#post_190824

…flight instruction by a non-FAA instructor is creditable towards the flying portion of Wings. The FAASTeam manager would have to do something on the Wings website to apply the credit.

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Jan 14:44
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message