Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EuroGA too much "IFR"?

Interesting question. I like the in-depth technical nature of the discussions on the forum. I do find some of them have got very “high end” and out of the reach of many people though (e.g. discussions on expensive avionics etc). I don’t have anything to add to IFR discussions as I’m not qualified to contribute, although I do aspire to an IR.

I wouldn’t want to change the forum, although I find I’ve been spending more time on Flyer as those discussions seem more relevant to me. A VFR/bimbling forum might be worth considering.

Fairoaks, United Kingdom

I really should have worded it differently: how can we increase the VFR content?

I think it would be wrong to have special VFR sections – because every section we have (except Bizjets) is already fully applicable to both VFR and IFR. The Maintenance & Avionics section is more applicable to owners, of course, but there are many VFR-only owners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The forum is more European in its content, which is good and does what it says on the tin. The touring reports have always been very good.

I had not noticed an IFR bias, and will try and continue to contribute from the VFR, no electrics, no gyros, tail wheel perspective.

The IFR content has quite a lot of useful weather discussion – and real IFR trip reports are always welcome.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well, for starters you can change the 5 images of the banner.
Since the forum is called EuroGA, it should have
- a typical low-performance canvas-metal-plastic-and-anything-in-between very slow mover
- a typical high-wing mid-performance 4-seat yoke-equipped grandfather-looking 40K-brotherhood-member with a name that contains 2 prime numbers less than 10 airplane
- a typical high performance low wing astonishing-looking mostly plastic parachute-equipped airplane
- a twin
- and a TB20 in-between
Just kidding. I find the forum has very high level and inspires me to look into things that I wouldn’t be able to find elsewhere. I, too, find it strange that there is not so much “traditional” VFR content. I guess newer or less experienced pilots may be overawed (I hope this is the correct word) by the level of the forum.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

Renaming to EuroGAowner.org (or EuroGAseriousrenters.org ) wouldn’t be completely off…

I really should have worded it differently: how can we increase the VFR content?

Change the weather?

Norman
United Kingdom

Change the weather?

Hmmm you may have a point there!

TAF EGKK 051056Z 0512/0618 18015G25KT 9999 SCT020 BECMG 0512/0514 19025G35KT TEMPO 0512/0603 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 0512/0515 20028G45KT 4000 +SHRA +RA BKN012 BKN020CB BECMG 0514/0517 23020G30KT TEMPO 0517/0521 23025G40KT BECMG 0521/0524 22014KT PROB30 TEMPO 0600/0603 22015G25KT BECMG 0610/0613 15012KT 9000 -RA TEMPO 0614/0618 RA BKN014 PROB30 TEMPO 0615/0618 4000 +RA BKN007=

for starters you can change the 5 images of the banner

I updated the banner a few days ago and, yes, you are right to an extent – the % of not legally IFR capable types has gone from 33.3% to 20%

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
What’s more boring than flying IFR?
Reading about other people flying IFR…

That is good.

EGTK Oxford

I think it would be wrong to have special VFR sections – because every section we have (except Bizjets) is already fully applicable to both VFR and IFR.

But asking the question is a tacit admission that the sections aren’t really getting used for much VFR material. Hence a suggestion – I thought that is what you were looking for.

EGTK Oxford

Good to see the banner now has a tailwheel type.

What we are missing on the forum is a contributor who flies airways in either a Beech 18, Staggerwing, or Cessna 195.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message