Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EuroGA too much "IFR"?

a contributor who flies airways in either a Beech 18, Staggerwing, or Cessna 195.

… or an Aero 45 or a Let Morava…

Last Edited by at 05 Feb 17:33
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I am always happy to chatter away about my VFR and IFR flights but fear I would bore you all to tears. Last Sunday as I could not use Mavis due to the strip been water logged, I flew the Cub. I had a very sporting cross wind (well for me it was in a taildragger) for take of and landing plus it was off tar and I was kept dancing on me toes finishing off with a rather inelegant landing. Hehehehe. Even taxing Harry in the wind was a tad fun. But is was good to fly Harry in those conditions as it allowed me to experience first hand that taildraggers can be as civilized in iffy wind and you don’t need to limit flights to 5-10kt type winds. The flight was great and it was wonderful sniffing Avgas again.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Jan

Agree! Will add a Miles Gemini to your suggestions

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It’s good to look at that question.

I read the forum everyday (a number of times each day), but find my self commenting less than I used to, simply because there are fewer threads that I can usefully comment on. IFR is above my pay grade, and I’m not an owner.

The answer is probably not about getting people to post more VFR stuff, but rather about getting more people to post. ie new members. That of course is going to be hard to do, and probably involves all of us remembering to mention EuroGA if we can when we post elsewhere ;)

Also, don’t forget to do up some flyers for me this year ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter,

I am more than happy with the forum and it’s participants. By far my favorite place now.

Will try to get a bit more VFR topics in once the season starts again.

Thanks for all your work and your willingness to put up with all of us.

For now just a small VFR pic

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very useful comments everyone!

don’t forget to do up some flyers for me this year

Thank for the reminder DP, and very kind of you to offer

Does anyone have any ideas on what should be on a flyer like that? A5 size, I guess. I can then get a design done and get a load printed.

Getting new members (and new to flying too) would be great but the GA community in Europe doesn’t get a lot of newcomers each year.

I am always happy to chatter away about my VFR and IFR flights but fear I would bore you all to tears.

I am sure it would be welcome!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I sort of align myself with Dublinpilot. I read this forum almost every day if I can, more than once and above any other forum, this is the only one I want to contribute to and feel any allegiance to. I would like to see a bit more VFR, and while I can fly IFR in the UK, with IMCr limitations, I do sometimes feel there isn’t much I can contribute sensibly. That said I enjoy and am inspired about the content of most topics and the regulator contributors – and some of the conflicting views. The problem with ‘VFR’ is that it’s hard to say or describe something new that almost every other pilot in the world hasn’t already experienced, and the forum would descend into the pointless drivel that makes up a lot of some of the other forums, which I rarely read them anymore.

I occasionally post some stuff from here on the ‘Private Pilots Club’ Facebook group, which my Wife set up and has hundreds of followers, but it seems now to have a lot of US members and I don’t know if any ‘signed up’ here. Ill promote this site a bit more.

The content of the forum is entirely dictated by the contributors.
I come here to learn what I can but feel I can contribute little, so I have no influence on the forum and how it’s perceived as a result, other than this little missive.
I guess that everyone is looking to find just that right bit of information/assistance that will enhance wherever the reader is in their experience/learning curve and this is what determines what they want to see.
A bit of a catch 22.
Personally I like to banter as a way of relaxing and there’s certainly not much of that on here.

Forever learning
EGTB

I think for those who feel that they have little to contribute – you are wrong. Just write about the flying you do, you issues you had and that sort of thing starts a debate.

EGTK Oxford

I think that Peter has become a “victim” of his own type of flying.

I first became aware of the forum when Peter emailed me privately and drew my attention to it, and I suspect that others will have joined the same way. As a (predominantly?) IFR flyer I also suspect that Peter’s contacts already shared a similar background to him, and the forum has thus become what it is, and in turn has attracted others of a similar ilk.

For me it us a tad “heavy” and although I log in most days a lot of the stuff is over my head and only occasionally of interest.

Personally I would certainly welcome a lighter feel to the forum, but none the less have been impressed by the growth and quality of its content.
Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message