Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EuroGA too much "IFR"?

I have always preferred forums that have no subforums, regardless of content. I read EuroGA mostly in the ‘most recent threads’ format and enjoy it. In relation to IFR and VFR specifically, I don’t fly IFR because I don’t need to (no airspace or weather issues) but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested – its all flying and aircraft related, and who knows, maybe someday my flying circumstances will change. Its all interesting stuff.

The stranger thing to me is not the lack of ‘VFR posts’ but the tendency to create the distinction between types of flying. I think flying itself is distinct enough and that all pilots should try to broaden themselves into areas they have yet to understand, not vice versa.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Feb 14:22

I’d like to see more grass roots flying stuff myself – there’s a lot of stuff concerning aircraft that have a price greater than a decent sized four bedroom house, but not all that much about the more affordable end of GA. I’m not saying there’s “too much” high end GA, rather – not enough about the more modest stuff.

Andreas IOM

Yes, I would appreciate it too if many others wrote more! While I sit at a computer ALL DAY and big parts of ery evening and always have a browser window open for COPA and one for EuroGA, i can definitely understand if others don’t have the time to get into it so deeply …

I think the IFR stuff is interesting to a point. At a CERTAIN point though I stop reading. I just don’t want to know every single regulation, every single aspect of an IFR flight. Especially law stuff is boring (for me!) and I am not a big fan of electronics either and cannot write anything fundamental about these topics.

I do know some about engines and more about airplane types and families and their history, because that was my main job as a journalist. I also find aerodynamics interesting, as long as there is a connection to practical flying.

To answer te question: No, there is not “too much” IFR stuff, but maybe a little more VFR would be helpful to attract more pilots.

QuoteWith IFR around Europe, (as I understand it) airspace really ceases to exist. Clearances are ATC’s problem and can be assumed. Obviously this isn’t the case with VFR, and much more thought needs to be put into the route!

I think you really have to differentiate between the UK with its idiotic airspace structure and anal ATC and most of continental Europe. VFR touring in Europe is definitely possible and clearances are usually no problem. Granted, the planning needs to be more circumspect in this regard, but it’s not rocket science either.

I am just a very plain VFR SEP pilot. I like to travel and have visited a few places in Europe, using just charts and compass. Never had any issues.

I find it hard to relate to the specific IFR and hi-tech threads, but there are many other interesting threads to read.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

With IFR around Europe, (as I understand it) airspace really ceases to exist. Clearances are ATC’s problem and can be assumed. Obviously this isn’t the case with VFR, and much more thought needs to be put into the route!

I think you really have to differentiate between the UK with its idiotic airspace structure and anal ATC and most of continental Europe. VFR touring in Europe is definitely possible and clearances are usually no problem. Granted, the planning needs to be more circumspect in this regard, but it’s not rocket science either.

To be precise, it is not directly due to the airspace structure, but rather due to the fact that the UK allow uncontrolled IFR in uncontrolled airspace. Whether this a good or bad is another matter, even though most agree that it is generally a good thing.

So in contrast to much of Europe, where IFR equates to controlled, this is not the case in UK, and IFR (OCAS) there is quite like VFR, with all its liberties, but also all it’s additional chores (like minding the airspace structure).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Feb 14:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

AfricanEagle,
where is THAT airport, please? :-=

Most of the time I fly IFR, but I much prefer VFR. Looking at clouds from the inside or from above gets boring real quick, even more so, if it is dark as most often this time this year.
Yesterday I had the luck to be asked by a colleague if I could do the bi-annual training flight with him that is required for his SEP class rating. How nice it is to fly with a C152 on a beautiful early spring day like we had yesterday! This is why I fly, not for staring at screens and pushing mode buttons on the flight director control panel.

Last Edited by what_next at 07 Feb 18:21
EDDS - Stuttgart

Biennial

Egnm, United Kingdom

To africaneagle: i am curious to where is it as well..
And to the topics: yes, there is a lot of IFR stuff here but that’s fine, it’s an output function of active members.

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message