Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EuroGA too much "IFR"?

Honningsvag ENHV.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Enhv was looking nice until I googled it and found out how cold it is likely to be!

Forever learning
EGTB

The trip write ups on this forum and on Peters personal page inspired me to get an IR. I like to visit places in Europe, and that is easier done IFR
I also like the freedom of VFR flying and about 25% of my flights are done VFR.

I would suggest all VFR pilots to post their questions / experiences / trip reports on this forum.
We all love flying and enjoy reading about it, no matter the flight rules

I do not thimk African Eagle’s airfield is Honningsvag. The images of Honningsvag I found on the web do not show the little bits of water near the threshold, or the road passing by the end of the runway

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Given the weather we have been having, “not enough IFR” may be better as all the VFR pilots will have no choice but to get IR’s in order to fly, assuming at least the winds reduce! With respect to the question, as an aspiring VFR pilot (just waiting for the weather to clear to go for my skills test), I very much enjoy the more sophisticated level of discussion here compared to some of the more vitriolic forums which can get quite “noisy”. Certainly, it is helping me define what I will or can do after obtaining my PPL, beyond just wandering around the sky.

Ultimately, as I am at the bottom of the experience pile here, I suppose it is up to VFR-only pilots to start any threads themselves on particular topics of interest if we feel if there is not enough VFR. A topic of interest for me would be how to progress my skills immediately post-PPL. Peter’s website gives a good idea of how he went about it. I met someone who went for their IR very soon after their PPL, but it seems that there is a consensus to spend a bit more time consolidating the basic flying skills before going for the IR, but how long for; 150 hours P1 (or is it a case of how long is a piece of string)? Should I try and find a share from 100 hours (seems the number has an insurance link) and does it matter what aircraft (I suppose it depends on what I can find at Denham).

In any event, I guess I can raise these questions to help the VFR discussion – basic though they are – as a thread at some point, but just… need… some … decent weather …. (don’t we all) to at least get my PPL!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

but it seems that there is a consensus to spend a bit more time consolidating the basic flying skills before going for the IR, but how long for; 150 hours P1 (or is it a case of how long is a piece of string)?

The IMCr legally requires 25 hours post PPL, of which 10 has to be PIC. Me, I passed my PPL in something like 70 hours (couldnt find my diversion place Fenland (who can?)) so only got a partial pass on my skills test. I had some fun for a few months getting myself more comfortable flying on my own and taking up all the friends who wanted a ride. I think I startred my IMCr after about 100 total, and although I passed in the minimum 15 hours (or thereabouts), it was over a period of months due to doing it late in the year and potential icing issues. I now have 450 hours and still relatively happy with the IMCr. Depending on the outcome and published training package for the so called CBM IR (competency based) I will go for the full IR. Right now my aircraft (IFR compatible PA28), my time, money and mission profile dont lend themselves to investing in the time and money to do a FAA IR or a EASA IR.

But thats just my mission profile. If you have the time, money, aircraft availability (i.e. own or part own because I cant see doing IR type flying on a rental aircraft being economical or satisfying), and the desire for longer IFR type trips, then its worth it. Note though that if you fly a G reg in the UK, then the combination of an IMCr + the future En-route IR (also a limited IR) = almost a full IR in the UK – though not so Europewide.

PS, I was told that the length of a piece of string can only be up 37cm, after that it it is considered ‘rope’. That however I dont suppose is written in law anywhere

There may be a post-PPL thread already in existence, but my suggestions hopefully are OK on this thread.

Assuming European cross country flying is one of the attractions of the site, my suggestion is to find a sensible syndicate with a well maintained Archer, 172, TB10 or Grumman. Take a week or two out of your schedule and plan some reasonable cross countries with the skills you acquired in the PPL. There are even hour builder schemes which might suit if you can take a month. Sometimes syndicate members may be available to share the flying.

Giving yourself time means you can genuinely do this VFR, as you can fly towards good weather, and wait out weather interruptions. This is not a bad character forming activity! Also being a well grounded VFR cross country pilot (no pun intended!), is a good prep for IMC. Understanding and living with VFR limitations is a good base which you will continue to use.

After my PPL I launched on an ambitious cross country from British Columbia to Oklahoma and back, and this was a good confidence builder, but also exposed me to a variety of weather and physical conditions(mountains, etc) airports, types of airspace.

Invest in understanding weather – Richard Buck’s Weather Flying, Sparky Imeson on Mountain Flying.

I would then certainly get a UK IMC rating, it is a well recognised safety rating.

If you have a genuine mission that requires a full IR, you need to appreciate that the typical GA machine is not a hard IFR capable machine. The airways system is turbine, multi crew biased. There are good IFR capable GA aircraft (those on the banner), but they have their limitations and need to be operated conservatively.

The extensive ATPL ground work, and the 55 hours IR course, may not provide a real world training environment – and is more a first officer pre qualifier than a real world single pilot IR training course.

This site has many current single pilot IR practitioners with genuine good advice. I would build cross country experience, get an IMCR, and then take stock whether going for a full IR is the next logical step.

In fact what Piper Archer said.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I confirm it is Honningsvag. Flew there in 2010, departing Rome Urbe (LIRL)

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Piperarcher and RobertL18C, thanks for your responses. IMCr may be the better approach, but it makes sense to consolidate the basic VFR. I’ve found that it is good for me to take things one step at a time. Indeed, the delay due weather for the skills test has given me more time to digest many points which may not be directly relevant to the skills test itself, but useful for enjoyable and safe flying.

I like the idea of finding a syndicate and taking some time out to do some reasonable cross-country. Time is manageable, money… best not to think too much so long as the family is provided for and mission profile is still being developed, but that’s where I really appreciate the inputs from this forum. Thanks!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
59 Posts
Sign in to add your message