Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the EU Dead

Yesterday I flew from Hungary to EDMA on an IFR flight plan. As I was tying the plane down a van pulls up and tells me that I have to clear Customs. Being surprised since Hungary is part of Schengen I thought there must be a mistake. Well no mistake I was asked for my passport and questioned if I had brought any cigarettes from Hungary?
Well no because I dont smoke. But who would buy Hungarian cigarettes anyway. Id be afraid half would be tobacco and the rest crabgrass.

The only good thing was that the two young gun totting Customs Agents were very attractive blonds. So it made me feel better having to go through the whole procedure.

But now here it is 3 in the morning having tossed and turned in bed wondering how this new non-Schengen will affect my flight back and forth between the EU countries.

My airport in Hungary does not have Customs on the field. In order for me to have Customs I will have to prearrange them to come out 100 Euro fee leaving and 100Euro fee coming. Otherwise I will have to land at a Customs airport going and coming. The nearest Customs is LHBP and they charge 400 Euros to land.

The other PITA is having to coordinate having Customs come to the airport. Really puts the Kabosh on freedom to travel. What happens when the weather is iffy during departure or at arrival and the Customs guys are already waiting. What happens if your running late. Normally that is not a problem but now its a real PITA.

Thank you Angela. Throw out the welcome matt by telling people if you get to Germany we will take you in. Never mind over whose bed you might have to step on to get there. Angela know that is not your problem. Your just the concept women, you let others handle the details.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Thank you Angela. Throw out the welcome matt by telling people if you get to Germany we will take you in. Never mind over whose bed you might have to step on to get there.

Answer to your Q – yes.

Answer to the quote above – not printable….

Cigarettes are excluded fom free circulation if you buy more than a certain number in Hungary. All completely normal.

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Travel/Travel-within-the-EU/Taxation/Alcohol-tobacco-and-products-containing-coffee/alcohol-tobacco-and-products-containing-coffee.html

C210_Flyer wrote:

Being surprised since Hungary is part of Schengen I thought there must be a mistake.

To be totally exhaustive, Hungary is a member of Schengen AND the EU. And because of the latter you should not need to clear customs. In a flight from Germany to Switzerland you would need customs (but not immigration) because CH is a member of Schengen but not of the EU.

Although you do not need customs or immigration, Customs officers can turn up unannounced and control you just as they may on the roads or at railway stations even though the train never left the EU.

LFPT, LFPN

Boarder controls have become commonplace when travelling intra-Schengen due to the migrant issue. Take for instance the frequently hour-long traffic jams on the highways when entering Germany from Austria. I have also had my passports checked on CAT during my trips in the last months (Germany, Belgium).

However, this should have nothing to do with customs per se…

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Nice thing about Augsburg is that they have customs and immigration without the usual pre-notice and form filling. And also otherwise a very nice airport to fly to.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

C210_Flyer wrote:

Well no mistake I was asked for my passport

Maybe it would help reading some news? Even once a month would help a lot for “surprises” like this

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

An N-reg pilot must carry a passport at all times anyway (US requirements for flight outside the US) so I would not be concerned about getting that checked, but if one has to give hours or days of prior notice, or endure long (I mean “purposely long”, to make a point) document checks, that would be a big hassle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do not care being checked before/after the flight. As long as I am not required to use airport of entry only or order customes 96hrs in advance.

LKKU, LKTB

Schengen is about immigration, Customs Union is about customs. And there is a difference between having to go to an airport with customs or having to arrange for them to be present and being stopped by them and checked on the spot. You can see customs officials waiting for example at highway rest stops. Nothing unusual or new. Even within Customs Union there are rules on what you can bring and in what quantity without declaring it. Cigarettes are one example, cash would be another.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message