Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Nav TC mobile on Android chart file corrupt, what to do?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Unfortunately, I see the same tendency with other supplyers such as Foreflight, where I could actually use the subscription I have.

According to my understanding, Jeppesen’s iOS-only limitation means that any app that shows Jeppesen plates can do it only on iOS. Even if Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight wanted to have that feature on Android (and for all I know, they do want it), they can’t because of the Jeppesen limitation.

ELLX

As long as you have it installed, the APK file is on your device. On mine, in /data/app/${APP_NAME}/base.apk
System apps are in /system/app/${APP_NAME}/${APP_NAME}.apk

You have to be rooted for that access

And Jepp stuff refuses to run on rooted devices… Probably the more recent root solutions, designed to mask the root if a specific app is running, get around that; these were done to enable google pay to keep working.

Anyway, a google on

jeppview android apk

digs up this which may or may not be what MD was after. How Jepp implement licensing on android I have no idea… on IOS they don’t (after the initial installation) and instead rely on the device being secure, and it downloads only the data you are licensed to get.

The problem might be that to get the required file system access you might need a rooted device…

According to my understanding, Jeppesen’s iOS-only limitation means that any app that shows Jeppesen plates can do it only on iOS. Even if Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight wanted to have that feature on Android (and for all I know, they do want it), they can’t because of the Jeppesen limitation.

My understanding, FWIW, is that Jepp went to IOS because

• it is a much bigger hassle to root it and keep it rooted
  • some 90%+ of the GA community uses IOS, perhaps 99% in the USA, so it focuses the programming workload better
  • they want to make it as hard as possible to generate PDFs from the terminal charts (these are the primary “sharing” method) – someone told me this in a seminar

FF is IOS only anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You have to be rooted for that access

Oh. I have never run a non-rooted Android device, so I have little awareness of the limitations of non-rooted devices. Getting the apk does not require a rooted devices; it is somewhat more convoluted, but the file is accessible non-root

For technical details, see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12175904/where-can-i-find-the-apk-file-on-my-device-when-i-download-any-app-and-install
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11012976/how-do-i-get-the-apk-of-an-installed-app-without-root-access

For click-by-click instructions, a search engine gave
https://www.wikihow.tech/Extract-APK-File-of-Any-App-on-Your-Android-Phone
https://www.androidrecovery.com/blog/extract-apk-file-from-installed-app.html

Last Edited by lionel at 26 Oct 10:08
ELLX

Peter wrote:

My understanding, FWIW, is that Jepp went to IOS because
[…]
they want to make it as hard as possible to generate PDFs from the terminal charts (these are the primary “sharing” method) – someone told me this in a seminar
That seems pointless – when you run JeppView on a Windows system it is trivial to generate PDFs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, which is why they want to move users away from Windows and to IOS.

With IOS, you cannot print to a PDF (usefully, in this context) or share the terminal charts any other way, and there are no hacks to extend the coverage because the data is downloaded and you get only a download of what you paid for.

Fortunately corporate users are still heavily using the PC products.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

With IOS, you cannot print to a PDF (usefully, in this context)

Setup a “Print to PDF” printer on a computer. Share it over the network with the Apple Bonjour protocols (a Linux box does that; dunno about Microsoft Windows; maybe it does). Print from the iPad to this “printer”.

ELLX

Sure, but the app itself has no “print whole airport” feature. All you can do is print one page at a time. Then, yeah, you have various downstream options to combine these into a single PDF. As often, we have been here before

Administrator

I side-loaded the apk I linked to (BTW if the link goes dead and anyone wants it, drop me an email) onto a rooted tablet (4.4.2) and it installs but immediately refuses to run on a rooted tablet, as expected.

I then side-loaded it onto a recent non-rooted tablet (S2, v7.0) and it runs but is useless because the menu layout is corrupted. Evidently it is too old (2013) for android 7. It is a pity because JeppTC was the best way I have seen thus far of displaying terminal charts. You get nice bookmarks on the RHS and some other features. Much nicer than any PDF reader I have used.

It would probably run very well on an ex Ebay T705 or similar. It used to run great on an old Ipad 2 (2011, IOS5) which has probably similar performance.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I then side-loaded it onto a recent non-rooted tablet (S2, v7.0) and it runs but is useless because the menu layout is corrupted. Evidently it is too old (2013) for android 7.
When I started using JeppTC in 2014, I couldn’t buy tablets released that year because JeppTC wouldn’t run under their version of Android. Instead I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 which was released in 2013 and runs Android 4.1.2.

I’m still using it. If it breaks, I don’t know what to do. Probably I’d have to bite the bullet and get an iPad (mini).

It is a pity because JeppTC was the best way I have seen thus far of displaying terminal charts. You get nice bookmarks on the RHS and some other features. Much nicer than any PDF reader I have used

I agree.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There are plenty of 4.4.2 tablets on Ebay e.g. T705.

I might investigate a way to hide the rooting on mine. There is certainly a root solution which does this per-app selectively.

These tablets have the big advantage of being practically immune to overheating in a cockpit (I have been totally unable to make my T705 shut down, even by laying it against a window) but they don’t have the CPU power for some tasks like rendering VFR approach charts. Previous thread. This depends to some extent on the PDF reader, but I don’t think much effort goes into this because newer tablets are faster e.g. the 64-bit ones like the S2 or S3 are probably 3x faster than a T705.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message