Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Nav TC mobile on Android chart file corrupt, what to do?

Finally magaged to sort this out.

Deleted all the data, had to re-insert the serial and user name. Then it thought it is a new device so had to call Jeppesen to free the license. Now it works again (for now).

lionel wrote:

Garmin Pilot on Android cannot use Jeppesen charts. My/our understanding is that this is a Jeppesen limitation.

Ok, I had more or less decided on GP for Android, so that option is dead as well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So far, I see only Garmin Pilot which has an Android version, all the others don’t. Can the Jeppview subscription be used with it?

No. Garmin Pilot on Android cannot use Jeppesen charts. My/our understanding is that this is a Jeppesen limitation.

ELLX

I wonder if there are any apps on Android at all which allow the use of the Jepview subscription?

So far, I see only Garmin Pilot which has an Android version, all the others don’t. Can the Jeppview subscription be used with it? Or do Flitecharts do the same for VFR?

For the moment, it’s gonna be back to paper for me…. real disappointment and a huge step back. Is Jeppesen kind of owned by Apple these days or what is this ridiculous monopoly?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As usual, it’s been visited before

What I don’t know is how much of that stuff you can remove and still have a working tablet.

It appears, from that site and others, that root is needed to sideload the files from PC Jeppview. That was not the case on the Ipad install of JeppTC.

Regarding root cloaking apps, I have found that Magisk Manager needs android v5+, and Root Cloak doesn’t appear to work, not with this app anyway. There is also this:

Simply install the xposed framework and the rootcloack module. Add jepptc in the rootcloack app list and it will run like a breeze.

which I haven’t tried yet.

I don’t think you can patch apk files; they are hashed and crypto-signed. In the last days of Symbian, a Russian programmer examined the bit of Symbian source code which Nokia placed into open source and which fortuitously contained the app signature checking code, and he recompiled a patch for the OS which stopped the checking. That also enabled unsigned apps to run without a time limit, etc. Symbian was a pretty secure OS… the back doors turned out to be via antivirus tools and restoring a payload planted in the virus repository which gave the attacker root privileges… 10/10 for really clever

To add: this probably explains why the above methods don’t work anymore. It also turns out my T705 is v5. So the best bet for JeppTC seems to be an old Ipad… or someone spending more time on it, like doing a fresh root of android 4 or 5 with Xposed and then installing the Rootcloak module. I don’t want to spend more time on it since I have other routes and don’t want to re-flash and re-root my tablet since it has a load of nicely working apps on it.

I also think that a modern 64-bit tablet (android or ios) will make a good enough (fast enough) PDF reader.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is certainly a root solution which does this per-app selectively.

There are solutions to unroot the tablet reversibly. By the way, I don’t know whether JeppTC checks for root privileges, but it certainly does check for the presence of some files betraying the rooted status of the system: su and a few others.

Do we have any Android developers/hackers here? It should be possible to decompile JeppTC and remove the anti-root function.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 27 Oct 17:06
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There are plenty of 4.4.2 tablets on Ebay e.g. T705.

I might investigate a way to hide the rooting on mine. There is certainly a root solution which does this per-app selectively.

These tablets have the big advantage of being practically immune to overheating in a cockpit (I have been totally unable to make my T705 shut down, even by laying it against a window) but they don’t have the CPU power for some tasks like rendering VFR approach charts. Previous thread. This depends to some extent on the PDF reader, but I don’t think much effort goes into this because newer tablets are faster e.g. the 64-bit ones like the S2 or S3 are probably 3x faster than a T705.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I then side-loaded it onto a recent non-rooted tablet (S2, v7.0) and it runs but is useless because the menu layout is corrupted. Evidently it is too old (2013) for android 7.
When I started using JeppTC in 2014, I couldn’t buy tablets released that year because JeppTC wouldn’t run under their version of Android. Instead I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 which was released in 2013 and runs Android 4.1.2.

I’m still using it. If it breaks, I don’t know what to do. Probably I’d have to bite the bullet and get an iPad (mini).

It is a pity because JeppTC was the best way I have seen thus far of displaying terminal charts. You get nice bookmarks on the RHS and some other features. Much nicer than any PDF reader I have used

I agree.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I side-loaded the apk I linked to (BTW if the link goes dead and anyone wants it, drop me an email) onto a rooted tablet (4.4.2) and it installs but immediately refuses to run on a rooted tablet, as expected.

I then side-loaded it onto a recent non-rooted tablet (S2, v7.0) and it runs but is useless because the menu layout is corrupted. Evidently it is too old (2013) for android 7. It is a pity because JeppTC was the best way I have seen thus far of displaying terminal charts. You get nice bookmarks on the RHS and some other features. Much nicer than any PDF reader I have used.

It would probably run very well on an ex Ebay T705 or similar. It used to run great on an old Ipad 2 (2011, IOS5) which has probably similar performance.

Administrator

Sure, but the app itself has no “print whole airport” feature. All you can do is print one page at a time. Then, yeah, you have various downstream options to combine these into a single PDF. As often, we have been here before

Administrator

Peter wrote:

With IOS, you cannot print to a PDF (usefully, in this context)

Setup a “Print to PDF” printer on a computer. Share it over the network with the Apple Bonjour protocols (a Linux box does that; dunno about Microsoft Windows; maybe it does). Print from the iPad to this “printer”.

ELLX
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message