Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Joining IFR out of Sabadell (LELL)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

going to be more assertive in future about getting a positive clearance to start IFR

Good luck!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

aart wrote:

little disconcerting this vagueness in Spain sometimes about your status. I think I am going to be more assertive in future about getting a positive clearance to start IFR and one to cancel it.

Yes. And that actually reminds me of a strange thing on my last flight.

The controller from Barcelona did cancel IFR for me using the phrase “IFR is canceled” without me asking for it. I believe that is not supposed to happen.

After PUMAL I was at FL160 and descending towards Sabadell. The sky was clear after those cumulus I was talking about in another thread. So I could see everything from far away. At probably 6000’ the controller said “IFR is canceled”. That’s not really a problem as I was approaching a VFR only field anyway for the landing but it is not by the book – right? I also had a feeling that she doesn’t really speak English. She did repeat the question “are you visual with the ground” several times and I was responding in loose conversational terms. After two or three loops I repeated “visual with the ground” and then her response was “IFR is canceled”.

Frequent travels around Europe

aart wrote:

Stephan, if you have not already done so, you may want to go there soon. 20 mins from Sabadell!

See http://www.stephan-schwab.com/2015/07/11/lell-lecd.html

Frequent travels around Europe

The controller from Barcelona did cancel IFR for me using the phrase “IFR is canceled” without me asking for it. I believe that is not supposed to happen.

I think that is very bad, and I think i would have told him – online – what I think about that. No way can ATC cancel IFR without the pilot accepting. I think that this would be a good reason to write a letter to the right ATC manager.

ATC cannot cancel IFR for you, but in some places things happen differently

Super pics, Aart I am thinking of doing a trip to Spain before this year is over, maybe October. I did one to Salamanca a year ago. Maybe we could do a meet-up down there? There aren’t many places in Europe where one can fly in Oct/Nov and get decent wx.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
116 Posts
Sign in to add your message