Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

I see a company called dital have a 8.33 transceiver for sale for a grand. I've not heard of them before anyone know anything about them

The company is called Dittel and they have been around forever. I think their products are mostly found in hot air balloons. Here's a product brochure.

... and gliders...

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

KX155 slide-in replacement for 8.33 ?

Is there such a thing, maybe from one of the low-end firms in Europe that do stuff for the homebuilt market?

The KX165A/8.33 does it for a KX155A but the "A" connector wiring is different. I believe it is a few hours' work to rewire it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just got an email from South East Aerospace in Florida. This is obviously commercial but I think it is of interest givent he current European situation, with people blowing money away on upgrades mainly to get 8.33...

SEA Purchasing Department
www.seaerospace.com

SEA WANTS YOUR 8.33 TRADE-IN
Offset the cost of Upgrading to 8.33!
Turn Your Removed Units into Cash

SEA will be purchasing:
KX-155*
KX-155A
KX-165*
KY-196A
KY-197A
SL30
SL40
*Part Number Dependent

CONTACT US:
Bill Flynn
Purchasing Manager
[email protected]

SEA are a good firm; I have been buying avionics from them for 10 years.

I swapped a KX155A for a KX165A/8.33 and got something like $1000 trade-in for the 155A.

Administrator

Tha does make good sense. The days of 25KHz units are long not over yet in the US, so prices for good used units should remain fairly stable in the foreseeable future.

Same case as with Mode-C transponders.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Combined intercom and 8.33 radio

PAR200

You have to download the data sheet to see the 8.33 but it does seem to be there.

This should be of interest because, in my experience, the majority of the syndicate/rental fleet does not even have an intercom. They have a radio and the headsets etc are all wired in parallel, which tends to work OK if all headsets are the same or similar type.

Administrator

That seems a very interesting piece of equipment. PS engineering is using a remote 8.33 COM TY91 from Trig Avionics. Just a minus for people flying ILS, there are no marker beacons with this intercom. ACS lists the TY91@USD1740 and the PAR200@USD2600. So basically you get an almost fully featured intercom (without markers) for USD860. That's about the price of a second hand GMA340 on ebay.

Belgium

Do you mean there is no LOC/GS or there are no markers? Very very few approaches in Europe use marker beacons.

I have to say I would not fly even VFR-only unless I had ILS capability (it's the ultimate lifesaver) but you can install this thing to get an 8.33 radio and a decent intercom (called "audio panel" by some) and have another radio that does the ILS even if that is not 8.33. I think it is only the "IFR approval" scam practiced by Germany that requires two 8.33 radios.

Administrator

If certification is no concern, and the markers are really wanted, it is relatively easy to build a dedicated marker receiver. Mr Jim Weir of RST electronics published a handsome schematic but many more ought to be available on the www. Like most things in GA, this isn't rocket science.

As for the product announced: it seems to fill a need, and might well be a commercial success. US$ 2995 seems a steep price, though, even at the current exchange rate - and import duty will make up for that.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message