Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

I meant no marker beacons associated with the ILS. But you are right, these beacons are rarely used except in some countries like where I live (Ukraine) where flying an ILS means overflying an NDB or a collocated beacon. The Trig radio is COM only so no VOR/ILS but with another radio that provides VOR/ILS, this PAR200 makes sense and saves you some panel space.

Belgium

I sold them both my KX155 and the KMD550/KLN94.. a chance to get rid of your old boxes, Peter :)

EDLN and EDKB

Great business idea.

We who fly in the US thank you kindly for supplying our comm radios for the next 25 years ;-)

Silvaire,

The typical German buyback is: we'll put your avionics on the shelf for you for free and if someone wants that old stuff we'll give you a fiver for it. I very much preferred selling to the US. I was able to recover a full third of the conversion to the GTN750 and EDM830 from boxes that my dealer indicated would be scrapped..

EDLN and EDKB

Absolutely right.

Also, here in the UK anyway, none of the big shops will touch anything that doesn't have an EASA-1 form, so you are forced to process it via a 145 shop, which costs more money...

Whereas in the USA, for Part 91, an A&P can release an item to service by inspecting and testing it. There is no need for "forms".

I sell all used stuff in the USA. I got $2500 for my KCS55 slaved compass system. I would have got more had it been sold by a US seller.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A very compact solution for up to four pax seems to be avaliable from Becker, the AR6201 http://www.beckerusa.com/ar6201-vhf-am-transceiver-with-8-33-khz/

For 2 pax only, several 8.33 COMs w/ intercom are available, e.g. the Garmin GTR 225 or the Dittel KRT2. They also have dual watch mode so that the standby frequency can be heard on top of the active frequency - useful in one-COM-only-aircraft for listening in to ATIS without leaving the TWR frq. We should be getting one of those for the Grob in the TMG group within a year or two.

Obviously a COM-set with integrated intercom saves some wiring. Should that be considered a significant advantage because of the smaller risk of noise or failures in the audio system? Or should one also consider the disadvantage of not being able to replace one part without having to replace the other?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Mrfacts - one-third of your cost for new radios is wonderful :-) That's really great.

I've probably posted before that I bought spare radios (25 KHz for the Comm) for my plane for a grand total of $400 US or something like that. They were removed from another aircraft for an upgrade but are fine for me. Its enough to keep me going for quite a while, anticipating a failure or the need for spare parts, and more supply in the used market can only be a good thing from both sides of the deal.

Peter - the A&P test is to stick it in and turn it on. Then make logbook entry.

the A&P test is to stick it in and turn it on. Then make logbook entry.

EASA really wind me up sometimes...

EGTT, The London FIR

8.33 trade-in: who offers the most economic freight rates to send a unit back to US? UPS is about 280EUR which I consider too much for a used unit which one could trade in for maybe 800USD ...when the unit fails the bench test the money is gone ...

EDxx, Germany

Here in the UK, and I think most of Europe, we have an airmail limit of 2kg. I vaguely recall Sweden is/was only 1kg...

So I do everything possble to pack it to go inside 2kg, and I send it Registered Airmail. It costs generally under £15/€20 and the package gets a signature at the destination. The tracking along the route doesn't actually work. There are some insurance options.

Over 2kg, and that means any gyro instrument because they need very serious thick-foam packing, has to go by courier. You have DHL, TNT, Fedex, UPS. All have similar (outrageous) prices. The package is continuously trackable online. But €280 for a radio sounds about 2x too much. Did you include insurance? That is very expensive and I never use it.

There is also air parcel post but I have found it to be a bit of a joke, with packages taking weeks. I don't think anybody uses it these days.

Airmail is far the best value for money. Unfortunately almost no American company will use it (to send stuff to Europe) which is a pity because we end up getting massively ripped off. I think they (a) like the easy to use service they get from their courier and (b) like the tracking facility.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message