Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for an IFR capable aircraft north of London

Coming from the continent, but living for about half a year north of London I was looking into some options to keep myself current.

I find it difficult to find a Piper Cherokee family aircraft with suitable equipment based on an IFR facilitated airport north of London. Stansted and Luton are likely out of the question due to the high landing fees and the only 2 other airports with an instrument approach seem to be either Cambridge or Southend. Oxford is a bit far. At Cambridge airport there is at least one P28A, but it lacks a GPS (Garmin 430 or similar). And the aeroclub based at Southend did not respond to my email.

I am looking for advise to rent an IFR equipped (including a GPS and mode S transponder) Piper Cherokee. I am living near Ware in Hertfordshire at the moment, and 1 hour driving is acceptable. Preferably on an airport (or close to an airport) with an instrument approach. Stapleford or North Weald don’t seem to have an ILS or GNSS approach.

Another thing that came to mind is the class G airspace from Cambridge up to the North. How does it work flying in class G airspace here? Just file an accepted IFPS flight plan and fly the route while in contact with some FIS? Will FIS open the FPL? In VMC I am supposed to maintain my own separation, but how does it work in IMC? Does FIS provide any traffic avoidance info when in IMC?

As for the VFR part, I am familiar (theoretically) on the overhead join and the QFE differences from ICAO, any other interesting things I should be aware of?

A lot of questions, so any useful tips and advice is appreciated!

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I would recommend Cambridge, or Norwich.

class G airspace from Cambridge up to the North. How does it work flying in class G airspace here? Just file an accepted IFPS flight plan and fly the route while in contact with some FIS? Will FIS open the FPL? In VMC I am supposed to maintain my own separation, but how does it work in IMC? Does FIS provide any traffic avoidance info when in IMC?

In Class G, UK airspace, you don’t need to file anything. Just phone up the airport where you want to fly an ILS and tell them the ETA. They will probably want to book you in, to fit with slots booked by flying schools etc, and your credit card details (I normally phone those in afterwards when I do this at Lydd). Fly the ILS, go around (any monkey can land; no need to waste more money on the landing fee ) and fly back.

As for the VFR part, I am familiar (theoretically) on the overhead join and the QFE differences from ICAO, any other interesting things I should be aware of?

Ignore QFE. It’s a good way to get killed especially if you get it mixed up with QNH in the context of going around at an airport on a hill (I “killed” myself once doing this at Biggin Hill EGKB, on a sim).

Otherwise, Class G, VFR is VFR. You can do IMC (which then becomes IFR) non-radio in the UK No point in calling up any unit unless they are going to offer you a radar service. By all means maintain a listening watch on an FIS frequency e.g. London Info 124.60. Avoid ATZs which are the circles (5nm dia or so) around airfields. I would also avoid Stapleford which IME has appalling circuit practices, including on instructional flights.

Especially if you are flying on nice weekend days, avoid flying below 2000ft as that bit of the sky is full of planes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For renting, consider Modern Air at Fowlmere. Derick Gunning has two or three good quality and well-equipped fixed gear PA28s. Fowlmere itself is about 750m of grass, but grass of the highest quality. I have flown an M20J and my Twin Comanche many times into Fowlmere – and both are pretty intolerant of bumpy runways. Fowlmere is about halfway between Ware and Cambridge.

For instrument approaches Cambridge (my home base for 20+ years) is excellent. They have a scheme called the “Cambridge Flying Community” that is free to join and gives you cheaper fees. Cambridge Aero Club also have a G1000 C172 with good deals for all day rental. (I know it’s not a PA-28, but might be of interest).

Either Derick at Fowlmere or one of the instructors at Cambridge would give you a good introduction to the area and UK flying in general.

I agree with Peter in that I would also advise ignoring QFE whenever possible.

Happy to help with any other questions

Last Edited by Alan_South at 12 Oct 21:24

I would like to put in a good word for Stapleford, and sad to see Peter expressing what can only be described as strong opinions on this, not for the first time.

Stapleford is very busy at times and has quite large bomber circuits for noise abatement purposes. It requires overhead joins on weekends, and sometimes visitors will join on base when this is discouraged. As it is only Air/Ground this does require a bit more effort to ensure good situational awareness. I am not aware of any instructors cutting up the circuit, and there is quite strong self policing of the circuit. As the case for any airport, brief yourself, speak to the air field, follow the procedures.

LAM VOR/DME is on the field, and there are airways aircraft for hire (Warrior and Arrow series III, and I believe reasonable value for solo hire). IFR departures are straightforward with A/G radio getting you your squawk and next frequency for joining. No VOR approach, however either an ILS to Southend with VFR transit (18nm) or a let down to IFR MSA with the VOR are feasible.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I would be very happy to hear that Stapleford is not what it used to be. I have not been there for a number of years so this is possible. I recall getting cut up from the left and then (after going around) getting cut up from the right, by planes with instructors in them. They got it wrong and just made me go around. I fly tighter circuits then most anyway (get some sort of perverse enjoyment out of it ) – especially for the type. So the issue was that the others thought they could fly a tighter circuit than I was likely to be. In a C150 or similar this is of course possible, but not with a decent margin. But I have met a number of pilots whose experience was the same as mine. As I say, would be glad to hear this has changed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another vote for Fowlmere (my home base). They have 3 excellent PA28s and 2 PA32s with good availability and an approach to renting that comes very close to the ownership experience. At the moment, only one of the PA28s currently has a “full” IFR GPS (a GNS530) and the other two have KLN89Bs. You can still use Cambridge or Cranfield for IAP practice or cloud breaks and, in the UK, you can depart IFR into class G from a non towered airport. You can also easily go further afield up the east coast (Norwich, Humberside, Leeds Bradford etc), as the class G is pretty extensive.

As has been said, no flight plan is needed for IFR in class G in the UK. On weekdays, you can usually get a traffic service (~radar service) from one of several stations (Farnborough North, Cambridge, Lakenheath, Marham etc) but on weekends, some of these will be closed. Frankly, once you are above about 3,000 ft, there is nothing else around, so a radar service doesn’t add very much).

I’d also echo Alan’s suggestion of an hour or two with an instrument rated instructor (Derick at Fowlmere is a great choice) for familiarisation with the airspace and procedures in this part of the UK, which are fairly complex. As you will have to do a check flight wherever you rent, you’ll have a great opportunity to ask lots of questions.

For VFR, QFE is optional so I’d stick with what you are used to, and many airfields in the UK require PPR and/or have non-standard circuits for noise abatement reasons. There are also “listening squawks” which are used in class G when flying close to CAS (you tune into the terminal frequency, squawk their “listening squawk” and listen rather than establishing two way communication but my view is that you are better talking to Farnborough or the station instead. We also have a peculiar approach to services (basic, traffic, deconfliction and procedural) and you are expected to request the one you want when you first make contact with a station. Other than that, I think it is pretty similar.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. I’ll happily forget QFE, QNH is what I am used to.

Fowlmere seems a good option, especially with the IFR let down options of Cambridge. Norwich seems a bit far from where I am located.

Any experiences with North Weald?

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message