Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for Ferry Pilot - Cirrus factory - Albenga LIMG

and OP totally disappeared.

Indeed; slightly amusing and clearly we were never to find out what the “plan” was

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice drift and OP totally disappeared.

Morocco is on my to-do list for few years but I had to postpone it in 2020 because of start of pandemic and only to overfly it without landing in 2021 when flying to Canaries because of too complicated regime of Covid testing. However, I continue to collect info and hope to fly there once this madness is settled down.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have flown in Morocco several times, albeit quite some time (10+ years) ago. It’s super easy, but for VFR you have to fly VFR routes. Generally the airports are very friendly, no hassle (exception for me was Tetouan), but slow. I did not need permission east of Ouarzazate, but did need it south of Er Rachidia for the area of the dunes of Erg Shebbi. This was dead easy. Arrived in the late afternoon, had a chat with the tower guy (it probably helped that I speak fluent French), who called the DGAC. Next morning at sunrise all was set to go. Try that anywhere else….

I can only recommend flying in Morocco very highly, it’s a great place to fly and especially the Atlas and the deserts to the south are spectacular. ATC English, btw, is generally excellent. Only issue with ATC is that they sometimes cannot hear you (and vv) if flying low(ish).

Would love to know about how easy/difficult it is to operate there – PPR, fees, restrictions, interesting airports and places, fuel availability and prices.

I fly there few summers (before covid hits) from UK & France, most places are easy, just file FPL & NOTAM then turn up, no handling or permission required, the fee for sub-1.5T pistons (DR400, M20J, C172) were about 10£-15£ in Tangier, Fez, Rabat, Ifrane…

The only exceptions:
- South of Agadir and east of Ouarzazate, you need flying and landing permits from DGAC
- Marrakesh, there is the BizJet handling or operator Permission (I managed to skip by contacting the AeroClub but I understand it’s no longer possible)

Avgas & JetA are available, similar prices to France (Avgas is way cheaper than Spain)

You may find flight plans getting processed very slowly (lot of bureaucracy regarding these) or some hassle when no one in the airport when you want to land/depart (we used “service gate” in Fez last time), it helps if you have a handheld VHF as you can ask Tower ATc directly without “wasting time” with ARO guys, anyway, if you can deal with Greece & Spain, Morocco will be a walk in the park

If you can file +FL200, the whole FPL drama become easy for filing flight plans, you will be in contact with Casablanca ATC and you don’t have to wait for some en-route FIS in Hoceima AD to have his lunch for you cross the FIR boundary…

Unless you fly at night, “ATC ladies” who manage the sky during daylight tend to speak a very good English !

I think for entry/leave permission: 24h FPL for VFR & 12h FPL for IFR as long as it’s ACK you are good to go…

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 18:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

+1 on what Bucker wrote! Morocco for many of us seems to be a destination on the “Have to go there one day but I don’t dare yet because I know too little”-list

Germany

Louis-B wrote:

I’m based in Rabat, Morocco and fly to and through Europe regularly.

Hey, Louis-B. This is a Great forum. Welcome

Could you PLEASE make a post about flying in Morocco. I suspect I am like many here, with have a hankering to fly there and do some exploration. But havent quite crossed the mental barrier yet.

Would love to know about how easy/difficult it is to operate there – PPR, fees, restrictions, interesting airports and places, fuel availability and prices.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thank you Snoopy

Great to have you here @Louis-B

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hello everyone,

after rarely lurking on Euroga for years, the reading of 2 threads related to the Extra 400 made me realize what a bunch of educated and well behaved you guys are. Well, maybe akicorb shoukd care to say what he did and thank for the suggestions.

Thumbs up and thank you. Some aviation forums are a horrible place to be.
Short intro:
Pilot for close to 3 decades, I’ve been in clubs and later owned several types. My current drive is N111HT, a 2002 Cirrus SR22, after 10 years of 20. I’ll stay in aviation as long as I keep learning, so it’ll probably be forever as everyday shows me more of my ignorance. I’m based in Rabat, Morocco and fly to and through Europe regularly.
Being an owner or pilot is not an easy thing and we need to be a web of helping hands. I’m happy to be a part of that.

Back to the thread, I can answer some of the questions raised above:
- Dismantling/putting back together a Cirrus to ship it is much more costly than ferrying. It’s also risky and lengthy.
- Cirrus does the ferrying if you buy through the dealers. At a cost though. Yes they do have a network of ferry pilots. I know some of them.
- ferrying can be done at that time of the year. It only takes some stops and wait for the weather to open up. A FIKI turbo provides some allowance but it can and has been done many times with clean wings and NA engines.
- akicorb, if you come back, I’ll be happy to ferry your aircraft. The joy of the adventure would be enough of a payment for me.

Interesting that the very good questions here were never answered. @akicorb was never seen again.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message