Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lost in fog (also Garmin Safetaxi)

Time to get SafeTaxi™ on the G1000? :-)

I have not gotten lost yet, but I guess the same saying applies to that as to gear up landings: you have the pilots that have done it, and those who will…

Somewhat exaggerated maybe, but now that I have gotten used to having the taxi chart on the G1000, I no longer could do without. IPad works too.

Edit: grammar

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Jan 19:35
LFPT, LFPN

I agree actually about SafeTaxi. It is far better than the georeferenced Jepp charts as it can really scale down to an easy to see range to visualise hold short lines and taxiways. Yes, outside view is important but try some of the taxiway intersections at Schipol, they are like branches on a tree and hard follow from down low.

EGTK Oxford

What sort of platform and database cost options are there for georeferenced airport charts?

For the UK, there is a very cheap option in the form of the old Memory Map and free AIP airport charts. I have all of these, in the old unencrypted QCT format, but they are a few years old (still 99% OK today) and I don’t know if they still have them on the MM website like they used to (in a very hard to find part of it).

The Jepp stuff is too expensive for most people. I guess JeppFD does that function?

Is SafeTaxi available for Europe now and how much is it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still have Jepp FD with a VFR sub. Gives me VFR approach charts for all of Europe and obviously includes airport charts with geo-referencing. Costs ~300€ for four devices, so at the least two people can share it. Not too bad.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, do you have the Jepp FD IFR in addition? That would be 535,50€ for single install – so altogether 853,50? and not even covering CZ and P ?

Last Edited by nobbi at 22 Jan 21:15
EDxx, Germany

No, I haven’t. IFR is indeed more expensive than VFR by the factor of 5 or so.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Safetaxi costs £39.99 on top of the GP £49.99 annual sub. There is a free trial on itunes.

EGTK Oxford

JeppFD works very well, and if you have the GPS on it automatically displays the taxi chart when your ground speed drops below 60kts.

London area

On the bright side Jet A1 at LYBE is less than 0,5 EUR per liter

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

One night departing flight from Nantucket. Was on the GA parking Apron. The fog was so thick I missed the entrance to the taxi way. Only when it took more power to move the airplane did I realize I was on the grass. The pavement to the taxi way was 20’ over. I zoomed down on my safe Taxi chart to help out. Turning around to get back on the tarmac I was sweating bullets that I dont hit anything with the prop. Only reason that happened was because I thought I new where the taxi way entrance was in relation to where I was parked. My lesson was if there is a safe taxi on the Garmin use it.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message