Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lost in fog (also Garmin Safetaxi)

Emir
It is much better then some idiot in Israel tried to land in fog with his home built, no ILS or anything else, he might had a GPS.
They have crashed into the spectators area of the R.C model club. He and his pax. are both dead. It is the second time that this pilot has crashed, the first time was when he has landed on the beech to refuel, when taking off he used the wrong heading and as a result had a tail wind and crashed into a dune.

Everyone can have a bad day.

Ben

Some people are more prone to having a bad day than others.

LFPT, LFPN

SkyDemon has geo-referenced airport diagrams from the AIP

I have used these in both UK and France

It’s included in their standard subscription

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Is this on all airports in SD.

SkyDemon has geo-referenced airport diagrams from the AIP

As does EasyVFR.

But to be honest, I’ve never really used them beyond testing. I think that they are really only needed and useful at the much larger airports, or in very low vis as in Emir’s case.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As does EasyVFR.

I didn’t know that. And I had my iPad with EasyVFR installed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Is this on all airports in SD?

SD covers a lot of countries. In the UK, licenced airports are included and also in other countries.
At optional extra cost also provides these for many unlicensed and/or foreign airfields using Pooleys or AFE.

Another free option includes the French VFR approach charts from their AIP.
I’ve used these for taxiing at larger airports and at night too.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I am looking at the Garmin Aera 660 and running Safetaxi on it.

Does anyone know the pricing (I can’t find it)? The Garmin description states “The aera 660 aviation portable comes preloaded with detailed flight mapping, terrain and obstacles alerting, U.S., European and Canadian SafeTaxi® charts” so it looks like it is initially included.

Does the Safetaxi feature get disabled after the database expires?

If it really costs 40 quid a year, that’s great value.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Emir: with low visibility operations in use and the RVR falling below 400m, you need an LVTO approval to taxi, depart or land an aircraft in such conditions. Do you have an LVTO approval? Or do you get away with it? It is something that got in there (the LVTO approval for less than 400m RVR) with the new EASA rules and hopefully, some day, will be adjusted to not be applicable for non-commercial operations.

EDLE, Netherlands

@aeroplus that is a very old thread, which I added a post to.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message