Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lost in fog (also Garmin Safetaxi)

I think the main problem is that at bigger airports the signage is made to be seen from a cockpit that’s between three and ten meters above the tarmac. From the perspective of an SEP (or similarly low-riding craft), it can be nigh impossible to see it.

Another gotcha (caught me out last year at John Wayne / Orange County!) is that on some US airports the taxiways and apron are ONE huge area of tarmac, but are displayed as separate on the diagram. At an unfamiliar airport, this can mean that you are looking for a taxiway running between areas of grass, not realizing that what you think is the apron actually is – in parts – the taxiway!

In the US, the Pro version of ForeFlight has geo-referenced taxi diagrams, annual sub is $ 99.- for the whole product.

I think it is a very good lesson. How many of us review airport markings regularly? In low vis they can help to tell you if you are on a taxiway or not. I find taxiing at large airports hard in small aircraft even in CAVOK conditions.

For those who feel up to a light review of runway markings with their breakfast coffee, try this online course on “RUNWAY SAFETY

You’ll have to sign up to access the course, but it’s free, and definitely worth it.

http://www.aopa.org/Education/Online-Courses?page=3

Bordeaux

Somebody should georeference the free AIP charts – the airport layout pages only – and sell them for some small fee, in Oziexplorer format

As I mentioned before, Memory Map did it in QCT format. That would be OK too; there is an IOS app, a windows app, probably Android too.

The AIP charts have many problems for cockpit use but they are fine for the airport layouts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t see anyone messing about with the AIP charts to geo-reference them when Garmin has a product that sells for less than £40 a year

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Garmin Pilot has geo-referenced Eurocontrol AIP plates.

But also has safetaxi which is different from the AIP plates.
It looks like this:

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Jan 09:37
EGTK Oxford

£40/year, total cost?

Administrator

I must admit it sounds too good to be true.

LFPT, LFPN

Ideally I would like a windows app because that’s the tablet I currently run in the cockpit, for several reasons none of which are met with IOS or Android. I could move those “reasons” to IOS at some cost, starting with buying the Thuraya Satsleeve (plus a Galaxy 3) or the ADL120.

Currently, it can be done for UK only, with what I have.

Administrator

£40/year, total cost?

Plus the cost of the app as I wrote below.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message