Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low-budget / Low-profile meet-up in summer?

Having a meetup at a bigger flyin should be considered, too. For example the Northern Aviators flyin at Glenforsa (there will be camping, there’s a hotel on the airfield if needed, and the Isle of Mull has some interesting things to see and do for example a distillery visit).

“Central” is less important, IMHO, because wherever you pick for as “central” it’s still going to be too far for most people who fly modest aircraft. Poland may as well be on the moon for me unless I can take a couple of weeks off (even by airline it pretty much takes an entire day for me to get from home to Poland, and an entire day to get back). Not that I’m averse to doing long trips in modest aircraft – after all, I flew coast to coast in the USA in a Cessna 140 – but there were special circumstances there which meant I had the two months off in which to do something like that!

Somewhere like Glenforsa will be in day trip territory for anyone on EuroGA in the north of Britain or Northern Ireland. There’s probably no need to make these things more formal than “who fancies going to the Northern Aviators flyin” or similar.

Andreas IOM

Peenemunde is rather bare (intentionally I suspect, for obvious domestic political reasons) and a very long way from your base, Jan.

The Shoreham houseboats are just a nice walk along the river. There isn’t a lot else here, and I am not aware of anywhere in the UK where you can camp out by the plane.

There’s probably no need to make these things more formal than “who fancies going to the Northern Aviators flyin” or similar.

Exactly – it is easy for anyone here to put up a proposal to meet up somewhere. I wish more people did that…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Glenforsa

Are you thinking of going? Maybe stop for lunch at the Castle Kennedy fly in on your way?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

@ermajn: your reply made me think of LHBK Balatonkerezstur but that would perhaps be better in September?

Never been there, but geographically perfect in my case

LQVI,LJMB

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

@JasonC: I am not proposing anything or any place, I am merely querying for interest. To little effect, as yet.

Not at all. I think your plans are gaining momentum. Seems lots of interest and your possible locations are seemingly well received. While I can’t participate I really hope your lead works so more simple flying takes hold.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 May 20:31
EGTK Oxford

Headcorn could be nice for that with camping, a nice pub nearby. Don’t remember about the fuel though. Museum is at the airfield.

In Nordholz they have the Aeronautikum within walking distance. Wasserkuppe would be a historic place with much aviation heritage. The city of Weimar is full of history and the airfield has some bungalows for rent. In Anklam there is the Aeronauticon and the Otto Lilienthal Museum and I think they have rooms, too. I don’t know about camping at these airfields, though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The East Frisian Islands might make a nice place. While too far for me for a weekend, it’s probably close enough to Jan, and in a good location to get plenty of interest. Indeed easily open to most aircraft.

They have a very relaxed atmosphere & not very expensive. I don’t think they allow camping, but I seem to remember that there were camp sites near by on some of the islands.

Bikes are available for hire at most of the airports (if not all), and the islands are small enough to explore by bike.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

There isn’t a lot else here, and I am not aware of anywhere in the UK where you can camp out by the plane.

The Glenforsa flyin will have camping. Scotland did vote to remain in the UK :-)

Andreas IOM

Sure, one can’t please everybody, but still, some place are definitely more central than others. For the European GA-scene, that place is – like it or not – Germany. Possibly more the southern half of it. It’s also very well suited for that: cost for accomodation or food are indeed comparatively low in Germany. Most Sonderlandeplätze will allow camping of by a handul of crews if that is coordinated with the resident club before.

Especially some places in the east of Germany should be very well suited. These places are always happy about some extra income and positive publicity. Weimar is indeed a very good example. But there are many more.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 May 21:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good idea Jan. if at all possible I’ll be there.

I think I have mentioned Speyer (EDRY) before?

Lovely place, next to the historic city (walking distance actually), as well as the well known museum of aviation and technology.

It does indeed have affordable accomodation right next to the museum and the airfield too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message