Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing an airplane from N-reg/C-reg to EASA

Snoopy wrote:

“Except for alterations on critical components, FAA-approved or accepted alterations per 14 CFR Part 43 installed on a used aircraft exported from the U.S., regardless of the State of Design of the aircraft, are considered approved by EASA at the time of import to the European Union. EASA shall accept such FAA alteration data when substantiated via …. logbook entry.

Peter wrote:

Minor Alterations are not accepted and that is fairly likely to catch you out when you import something.

You are stating the opposite of what is quoted from the TIP of the BASA? I’m confused… it is ok like this actually:

N-reg → Major Mod → Form 337 → EASA

N-reg → Minor Mod → Logbook Entry → EASA

Or did I get something completely wrong somewhere?

I’d also be very interested in this:
Snoopy wrote:

An FAA STC whose installation is documented on a Form 337 must be approved by EASA in accordance with TIP paragraph 2.2.”

According to an EASA CAA, e.g. a 150hp conversion on a Cessna 150 cannot be imported as the STC is not validated by EASA. But now what about an engine that was changed in FAA land using an STC and a Form 337? Or is that unusual, and normally STC is not using 337?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Or is that unusual, and normally STC is not using 337?

The STC is approved data, the 337 is the A&P IA’s certification that the modification on the particular aircraft was done in accordance with approved data, in this case the STC. The only FAA record of the modification being performed on a particular aircraft is the 337.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Nov 00:22

Thank you @Antonio very useful information

Antonio wrote:

Some are mostly a paper exercise, some insist on a test flight and a physical inspection.

Spoke to an authority. They said due to the BASA between canada or usa and EU they wouldn’t even physically look at the plane.

Antonio wrote:

Oh, and I am not sure it was mentioned before: make sure the type does have an EASA type certificate or else you will not be able to import it.

I don’t think that is correct.
The Cessna 150 does not have a EASA Type Certificate. Apparently, EASA accepts the FAA TC.

See approved/valid airplanes here, including C150:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/download/easa-product-lists/EASA-PRODUCT-LIST-Small-Aeroplanes.pdf

Article 2 of the Basic Regulation requires the Agency to take the responsibility for the design approval of products, parts and appliances designed, manufactured or used by persons/organisations under the regulatory oversight of the EU Member States, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, except for those excluded by its Annex I.

As a consequence, the Agency’s responsibilities for design related activities (Type-certificates, supplemental type-certificates, approval of changes and repair design, and other post type-certification activities, including airworthiness directives) include now the following:

Products with type-certificates issued by EASA as of 28 September 2003 in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012.
Products with type-certificates issued by the EU Member States which are deemed to have been issued in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012.
Products with specific airworthiness specifications issued by EASA in accordance with the Basic Regulation, to support restricted certificates of airworthiness.
__

Disclaimer

The [EASA] Type Certificate Data Sheets which are referenced in the lists are the sources to be used for information. Whilst every care has been taken in preparing the contents of the above lists to avoid errors, the Agency makes no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or currency of the content. The Agency shall not be liable for any kind of damages or other claims or demands incurred as a result of incorrect, insufficient or invalid data, or arising out of or in connection with the use, copying, or display of the content, to the extent permitted by European and national laws. The information contained in the lists should not be construed as legal advice.

Annex I aircraft

In the past, EASA produced a list of Annex I aircraft, strictly for information purposes only. This publication is now discontinued, as the full range of products for which EASA has responsibility (see files above) has now been identified. These files will be updated, as and when necessary, thereby obviating the need for a list of aircraft for which EASA has no responsibility. Consequently, the list of Annex I aircraft has been removed from the EASA website.

EASA will retain the information on past decisions to classify certain types and models as ‘Annex I’ and that information will be provided by EASA, upon request.

Please note that another possible reason (i.e. other than having been classified Annex I) that a type design cannot be found in the lists provided above is that the type has not been validated in Europe. In case of doubt, contact your National Aviation Authority.

Should you discover missing data or concerning any other question regarding the product lists, please contact [email protected]

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The Cessna 150 does not have a EASA Type Certificate. Apparently, EASA accepts the FAA TC.

That is true for some types, and is potentially confusing.

It is not true in reverse: if FAA wants to certify an aircraft on the basis of a foreign TC, FAA issues its own TC number and TCDS. The reason is to prevent foreign law (meaning for example ADs) from directly affecting US register certified aircraft.

The Cessna 150 used to have a french TC, which has subsequently been canceled, and also the Reims built Cessna 150s are on a separate FAA TC. The other commons such as 172 and Pa28 do have an EASA TC.
Yes, I am slowly going insane.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Apparently, EASA accepts the FAA TC

Not as such, but you explained it later: TC’s validated by a NAA pre-EASA are also considered EASA TC’s, even if they do not have an EASA TCDS, not because it is FAA; but because it was accepted by an (now-EASA-) NAA before EASA coming online (ie grandfathered)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Snoopy wrote:

Yes, I am slowly going insane.
just keep it N-reg!
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Oh, and I am not sure it was mentioned before: make sure the type does have an EASA type certificate or else you will not be able to import it.

You mean Annex I aircraft can’t be imported!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

My understanding is, as Annex I aircraft are under national legislation, that might differ between countries. For Germany at least, I know that importing N-reg experimentals and registering them as “D-E…” is not possible.

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

They can, of course, but the accepting inspection regime differs from that applied to ICAO CofA types. For example, importing into the UK, it is checked by an LAA inspector.

For Germany at least, I know that importing N-reg experimentals and registering them as “D-E…” is not possible.

This varies around Europe. For example for France, see this.

just keep it N-reg!

Yes indeed. EASA has not (yet) attacked airframes. The pilots just (usually) need EASA FCL papers, in addition to FAA papers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message