Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Baby wipes for windshield cleaning?

I think there are different Pledge formulae. I used to use it, but checked the ingredients before buying.
Presently using Plexus – I don’t know where it came from. Very impressed with it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I clean my windshield with good old tap water and my hand, and dry it with a microfiber cloth for glass or plain absorbant paper.

ESMK, Sweden

The thing to watch – apart from water not removing greasy deposits – is that any “rubbing” will scratch the material. On rentals, most people don’t care because their windows are mostly buggered already so they use paper tissues.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am using microfiber cloth, but I have a supicion that is is scratching the surface, so I am going to switch to a wiper made of skin (I don’t know how it is called in English)

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

Samois leather, probably.

I have used Plexus and £1 supermarket facecloths for 20 years, entirely successfully.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

so they use paper tissues

Exactly what I mean to avoid. Will look around a bit more. The thing with baby wipes is that they come soaked with liquid, so it would really just be to pull it out and use it. There also exist car window cleaner, but I don’t think they’re of any use, as car windows are made of glass instead.

Germany

I am using microfiber cloth, but I have a supicion that is is scratching the surface, so I am going to switch to a wiper made of skin (I don’t know how it is called in English)

I knew I’m not the only one 👍

always learning
LO__, Austria

My view is that a “cloth” is not going to damage transparencies, but any dirt on it will. Since I got the plane I’ve had a very strict policy to not allow the cockpit cover to touch the ground (and if it accidentally does, not use it until it has been washed), and any rag which has been on the ground or whose history is unknown is never used on windows. The results are excellent, 20 years on.

Chamois leather has been fashionable on cars for decades, probably because it is quite good for wiping off the water after washing the car. It does nothing whatever for cleaning anything, and (with cars) is not used in conjunction with any chemicals.

Administrator

Beware of undeclared chemicals on plastics surfaces …

These baby wipes often use ingredient thingies not bad for babies asses but damaging the structure of common plastics. Often there are i.e. small amounts of citrus terpene in use, which will wash out plastics softener, or other nasty stuff you don’t want to use. We do use Baby Wipes, but only to clean painted surfaces – it is great for under belly stains – but we always make sure nothing is spilled on the windows.

Who else remembers the old days, when ‘Polyboy’ was used on glider windows … until they changed the recipe o-O ?

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 26 Dec 09:07
Germany

Been using this stuff since I’ve had airplanes… in a spray bottle, just 1 or 2 squeezes, wiped off with a new soft cloth every time.
There’s also a 500, blue in color, for the more resistant stuff on the belly of my ship.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message