Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

The issue (the SkyDemon related part) is being looked into by Tim.

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic13518.aspx#bm13525

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I suspect that a digital NAV-tuner like the GNS530 or G1000 would have trouble auto-identing a NAV broadcasting ATIS instead of a morse identifier.

The VOR would be broadcasting both the ATIS and the morse identifier at the same time. The id has a specific (audio) frequency which is filtered out when you are not identing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The VOR would be broadcasting both the ATIS and the morse identifier at the same time. The id has a specific (audio) frequency which is filtered out when you are not identing.

But isn’t that the one that you’re listening too to get the ATIS?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Every VOR has an IDENT and a VOICE-Switch. You can listen to the Code, even if it is used for ATC or ATIS.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

“I listen to ATIS before I talk to a ground station, not simultaneously”
Me too; the problem is that I cannot control when the ground station talks to me, or give some traffic information that I would hate to miss. My solution when flying our single-COM motorglider is to bring a tiny VHF aviation scanner that is always tuned to ATIS frequency. I turn it on and hold it up to the mike so we get the ATIS over the intercom. It works very well.
That is where my “logic” differs slightly – I do not like to be out of voice contact in busy airspace even for a short time. Especially not when that busy airspace is controlled airspace.

Did not know about transmitting ident and voice at the same time on the same frequency. I do not really understand it, but as long as it works

huv
EKRK, Denmark

As has been pointed out by other posters there are numerous examples where the ATIS is only available on. NAV frequency.

IF the said airport is open to VFR traffic, that would seem to be a regulatory cockup, because you don’t need a NAV receiver to fly VFR.

OTOH you can always (unless they are busy) call up the airport and ask for the weather etc on your way there.

But not many people have a radio with no NAV function.

As regards how auto ident works with shared voice+ident, you have a very narrow band notch bandpass filter around the said frequency (about 1kHz) and that will pick out the ident OK. The voice bit has almost no energy at the 1kHz and in any case they can put the voice through a notch filter to make sure. Your ears can also separate them out easily enough.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As regards how auto ident works with shared voice+ident, you have a very narrow band notch bandpass filter around the said frequency (about 1kHz) and that will pick out the ident OK. The voice bit has almost no energy at the 1kHz and in any case they can put the voice through a notch filter to make sure. Your ears can also separate them out easily enough.

My experience is that NAV receivers use a bandpass or band-stop filter on the voice channel. If you select ID, then the bandpass filter is connected, otherwise the band-stop filter.

IF the said airport is open to VFR traffic, that would seem to be a regulatory cockup, because you don’t need a NAV receiver to fly VFR.

Huh? Do you need an ATIS to land VFR?

It’s convenient to have QNH, Runway in use, and Wind, but these things get repeated on the radio anyway regardless of whether you have the ATIS or not…

I’ve been to places where they didn’t even have a windsock :)

LSZK, Switzerland

Huh? Do you need an ATIS to land VFR?

In my limited experience of flying, several of the ATC units in the UK ask you to report you have the current ATIS information on initial contact. It tends to be at the busier airfields. I suppose it’s not a legal requirement, but it’s good airmanship to oblige.

Last Edited by NicR at 14 Oct 10:42
EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

You don’t need to get the ATIS for either VFR or IFR as otherwise ATC can pass you the details just as they do at airports without ATIS, but you are expected to get the ATIS info. Again, it makes no difference if you fly VFR or IFR.

Sign in to add your message