Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

I always wanted to do a frequency list with the frequencies I’m going to talk to, like I did for VFR, also for IFR

Out of interest why would you want this? Not that I think it is really possible given the dynamic sector structures used.

EGTK Oxford

Out of interest why would you want this?

To make it easier to regain communication should you lose it, eg. by running out of the coverage of one sector, without that sector telling you the next frequency to use.

For example, hadn’t we asked, Athinai would probably have forgotten to give us the frequency of Cairo, and Cairo probably wouldn’t have given us the Hurghada frequency.

LSZK, Switzerland

Advert in GA Europe

Where does the 2017 for “Eurocontrol airspace” (presumably meaning IFR) come from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess from the 1079/2012:

Article 5

4. Without prejudice to Article 2(5), from 1 January 2018 an operator shall not operate an aircraft in airspace where carriage of radio is required unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability.

Where does the 2017 for “Eurocontrol airspace” (presumably meaning IFR) come from?

No, the IFR deadline was in 2014, see this quote below

2. From 1 January 2014 an operator shall not operate an aircraft flying under instrument flight rules in airspace class A, B or C of the Member States listed in Annex I unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability

This is also true for VFR flights in certain airspace:

With regard to the carriage requirements of 8,33 kHz channel spacing radio equipment identified in paragraph 2, an operator shall not operate an aircraft flying under visual flight rules in areas operating in 8,33 kHz channel spacing unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability

For all aircraft deadline in 2018:

Without prejudice to Article 2(5), from 1 January 2018 an operator shall not operate an aircraft in airspace where carriage of radio is required unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability.

Source: EU 1079/2012

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

And no, it won’t be just IFR.

PS: Annoyingly, I don’t think this reg. is listed on the EASA website.

Last Edited by Martin at 29 Apr 18:43

No, the IFR deadline was in 2014, see this quote below

For some, but not all parts of “Eurocontrol airspace”. Your quote refers to a list which only includes some of the Eurocontrol states.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Your quote refers to a list which only includes some of the Eurocontrol states.

Correct. This is only valid for the following countries
— Germany,
— Ireland,
— France,
— Italy,
— Luxembourg,
— Hungary,
— Netherlands,
— Austria,
— United Kingdom.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Switching between 8.33 and 25 frequencies

On today’s flight to EDDH I was given an 8.33 frequency. I had to change my radio to that spacing. Then I was given another 25 spacing frequency and was able to select it. So I had to reconfigure.

Is that how it’s supposed to be?

Frequent travels around Europe

In the 8.33 mode, you should be able to select a 25 kHz channel without a problem, except having to tweak the frequency knobs a lot more. No need to reconfigure to the 25 kHz mode. See here for more details.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message