Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

I wish there was a mod to put an extra landing light in each wingtip, as well. That would really help on dark nights. But I'm afraid there isn't.

If it is N-reg then there is always a route. Whether it is economical or whatever is another matter. The worst case scenario is a Field Approval backed by a DER design package.

I looked at getting the late-TB GT illuminated wingtips

and putting powerful LED lamps in them, which would give me taxi lights in both wingtips, and it would be a straightforward Field Approval (according to an FAA FSDO inspector I spoke to) but the wingtips are about €8000 a pair... If I could buy them from a crashed plane I would definitely give this a go.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter - apologies if you have answered this, but I have only skim read some of the posts, but have you tried the new LED lights at night and are they demonstrably better than the previous ones?

No night flights yet. The airport closes too early. Should however be possible after the clocks change.

I used to do the 3 night circuits to maintain the night passenger currency but now don't need to because the JAA IR gives that to you automatically... Smart? Not really.

Administrator

Smart? Not really.

What's the problem? Do you know of any elevated landing accident rate among the IR population at night?

When I did the IR I was trained to always use the PAPI, and that works at night too. So what can possibly go wrong, except for a somewhat harder touchdown if you misjudge height above the runway?

LSZK, Switzerland

What's the problem? Do you know of any elevated landing accident rate among the IR population at night?

When I did the IR I was trained to always use the PAPI, and that works at night too. So what can possibly go wrong, except for a somewhat harder touchdown if you misjudge height above the runway?

This is my view....I dont have an IR, but have an IMCRr + Night Qualification, which I know is not the same, and havent had the full IR training. But I havent done night flying for over a year because my home airport doesnt have lighting, so I wouldnt take up passengers myself until I had done 3 landings and satisfied myself I was safe. There is a different perspective when night flying, and if I had a more qualified person than myself sitting with me, I'd do a lights off landing (landing light and instrumentation), because that is one of the things that could possibly go wrong. I think if you have many years of experience and hours night flying, and are very current on instrument flying, then the risk levels are lower, so its a personal thing really.

I never had any problem landing at night, which is why I don't worry about it.

And one can't land at night anyway if there are no runway lights at all.

Administrator

I have just updated this thread regarding the current sensing board.

Administrator

They’re a bit cheaper than the ones I installed last year!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

That’s amazingly cheap!

Strictly speaking, since this product is not TSOd or PMAd, there is no 8110 from a DER, and it certainly has no STC, it cannot be installed on any aircraft with an ICAO CofA. And that is for an N-reg. On EASA it is “possibly” even more complicated. One UK avionics shop got some kind of approval for LED lamps. These unapproved ones can be used on a homebuilt or, I guess, a microlight type.

I did this on the TB20 a while ago – here – but those LEDs cost a lot more than yours. Whether they are any better I don’t know

Administrator
Sign in to add your message