Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Static port plug for Socata TB series and 3D printing

Here is a picture of the one I lost: Static Port

It is somewhat flexible, as Peter pointed out, but I do believe ABS would work as well. The plug on the photo is actually a little bit too long, since the tip keeps bending, because the static port tube bends downwards. You can see how the tip of the cone is slightly bend. There are different 3D printing plastics out there with different strengths/brittleness/softness characteristics, even Nylon (http://www.3ders.org/articles/20121031-high-strength-nylon-3d-printing-material-available-for-sale.html). So, I do believe it would work. Since I lost my plugs, I can’t give the exact dimensions. But someone else probably can.

For some reason, the owner of the Socata type club ignores me, when I asked him to send me two plugs, despite donating to the type club’s web site.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 20:00
Last Edited by Lucius at 17 Apr 15:40
United States

After searching for weeks, I just found one plug (but not the other). So I am able to give the dimensions: See Static Port Dimensions:

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 20:01
Last Edited by Lucius at 17 Apr 15:43
United States

Those livefilestore.com links do not work for me, and I cannot extract anything out of them that works. They also require a login.

I suggest you use igmur.com – see Posting Tips.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 15:27
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok sorry, hadn’t read the posting instructions yet. Should work now.

United States

They still need a login

Administrator

Peter, are you sure? I tried on a different browser, signed out, deleted all cookies, killed process, restarted browser, and was able to see the pictures without getting prompted to sign in.

United States

I think, there’s something wrong with dimensions. For on the drawing is the same as on photo, but length of the base and thin part are definitely not the same.

EVCA

Here are dimensions more or less matching proportions from drawing and photo:

Is it correct? If so, I can upload STL file.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 20:02
Last Edited by pshz at 17 Apr 17:26
EVCA

@pshz: The dimensions in my drawing indeed do not match the proportions of the photo for several reasons:
The plug on the photo is too long.
I made the head slightly larger, so it is easier to grab by hand, and also easier to drill a hole to attach the “remove before flight” flag, in case it turns out to be difficult to 3D print a hole.
I did not use CAD software, but created my drawing in 3 minutes using MSPAINT, so the proportions of my drawing are off, but the actual values should be fine.

Your drawing looks correct to me. Thank you!

United States

I am back

Lucius: I am not sure about needing a login now, because I am now at home and on that PC I probably have a onedrive login because I had to set one up for some files which somebody sent me, so it is no surprise it works for me now. However I have taken the liberty to screenshoot the various images posted (except pshz’s original post, where the image file is no longer on the server) and post them via imgur.com, so they are visible inline, to all. The problem with onedrive is that even if one has the login, it still cannot be used to post images inline on a website (AFAICT) because the URL just takes you to a funny website where the image is displayed with some surrounding objects.

Anyway, your static port dimensions look about right, from memory. I will be able to get the exact dimensions sometime next week (the plane is now locked in a hangar) and will post them here.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 20:08
Administrator
Sign in to add your message