Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Sebastian_G wrote:

I just checked and with all statistical error Android makes up about 4% of the ADLConnect installations.

Thank you Sebastian, Frankly I didn’t expect such a small % of Android users.

I will try setting up wifi internet connection sharing (ICS) on my Thuraya-connected windows tablet and give this app a try in the air.

I think the previously mentioned battery life issue was related to 3G/4G because I can’t replicate it over wifi.

4% does seem very low but one is looking at multiple factors driving IOS in this scenario.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

one is looking at multiple factors driving IOS in this scenario.

Not least that JeppFD is only available on iOS and I imagine that a high %age of Sebastian’s target market is using it.

I have to say that I am very open minded about the OSs, but now find myself back in a wholly iOS world and everything does seem to work more smoothly. I say that not out of prejudice (actually, my prejudice is the other way, because I think that Apple is a hateful company), just my experience.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes; it goes like this

• Apple did the first reasonably usable tablets (others were running winXP on tablets )
  • IOS owned the aviation app market long before android became significant
  • still some aviation apps are IOS only e.g. Garmin Pilot in Europe
  • pilots have above average income
  • IFR pilots (in-flight wx client base) have even more above average income

But…

• the android app exists, so it should work, and it is very nearly there
  • I get way more easy to use functionality out of my android stuff than I ever got out of IOS, and I suspect I am not the only one, because spec for spec android hardware isn’t really cheaper
  • a good % of pilots (esp. IFR pilots) are techy people, with IT etc day jobs

BTW does the IOS app auto-centre the aircraft on the moving map?

Administrator

Just heard the moving map does not move by itself – by design. That’s fair enough; a lot of the time the auto-centering function (of most moving map products) is unwanted. Arguably it should be a configurable option.

Administrator

I have just ordered the ADL150

They have fixed the android app so as to not activate the screensaver. It works well

The screen fix works on 4.4.2 but not on 6.0.1*. There are also significant performance issues (on the IOS version too) apparently due to a massive amount of CPU time processing some data, but the view among users I spoke to is that they are ok with it because it works and there is nothing else out there. And for sure it doesn’t really matter.

The T705 tablet runs 4.4.2 because that’s where it was when I rooted it, and you can’t update the OS after rooting (only apps). But 4.4.2 runs everything anyway, so this doesn’t matter.

* there ought to be a solution because e.g. Oziexplorer works perfectly on every android device I have ever had.

Administrator

I’ve just got a 130 secondhand (some of the planes I fly don’t have a plug lighter). Really impressed by quality!
Looking for something to shockproof the corners (I’m a clumsy guy). Is there something anyone wants to recommend?

Also wish that on the app when clicking on an airport a little insert window could open so that one could look at the TAF/METARs more carefully, but I imagine that the app might not actually be receiving them, just a rendered map?
It would be nice to have some sort of depictions of the winds at the airports. Maybe a wind barb on the actual airport?

I’ve just got a 130 secondhand (some of the planes I fly don’t have a plug lighter). Really impressed by quality!

Great to hear you like the ADL130 enclosure. I put in all effort to make it perfect but at the same time it turned out to be really complicated and expensive to make. The enclosure alone required an anodizing, metal cutting, milling, surface grinding, white insert colors each done by a different vendor…

Looking for something to shockproof the corners (I’m a clumsy guy). Is there something anyone wants to recommend?

Usually a camera pouch works quite well. I used to have one similar to this one:
http://www.crumpler.eu/kamerataschen/schutzhuellen/base-layer-camera-pouch-m-blau

Also wish that on the app when clicking on an airport a little insert window could open so that one could look at the TAF/METARs more carefully

The color coded “minima” on the map are based on the METAR but the app is not receiving the full METAR but just a color code. This makes a big difference on data volume over the satellite. The full METAR is only available if that ICAO code is entere on the download page.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Some remarks about the “performance”. The primary goal of the ADL system is minimal satellite data usage and the primary goal is to present this data as nice to the user as possible. There is a tradeoff and rather high CPU and memory usage of the apps are a result of that. More in detail:

Data decoding duration

Decoding the all European weather download can take a few seconds. The focus here is best data compression. Therefore quite extensive mathematics and memory operations are done on each single pixel. For the all European download 15 big images are downloaded (5 radar images, 5 infrared images and 5 strike images) and each of those will be decompressed. A much more CPU friendly compression could be used but that would mean bigger files. On a high speed Internet connection it would not matter so much but the ADL system is all about data volume.
Just as a side note on a satellite download you will barely notice the decompression as you only download smaller cutout of the European image.

Server side data processing duration

There might be few seconds delay here as the server will always try to serve the most up to date data possible. Much data comes from a cache but the server, will under certain conditions, download more up to data from the weather providers to make the user download as accurate as possible. This slight delay could be reduced but at the cost of data quality

App CPU and memory usage

The rendering of the moving map including the weather data is quite hard on the CPU and memory. There are many parameters which can be adjusted but so far the general focus has been to generate the best possible map and use whatever CPU and memory is available to achieve this. There is a huge difference depending on which device you use. For example on older iPhone 4S is working really hard while any of the never iPad or iPhone have plenty of spare resources when running the ADLConnect app.

For different reasons the same software seem to put some more strain on many Android devices compared to iOS and at the same time the performance spread among Android devices seems to be bigger.

The bottom line is that our use case is very special. In flight we usually have kind of 1990 style data transmission capability combined with 2017 local computing power. To make the best of this scenario requires a rather non standard approach.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 18 Nov 12:44
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I reckon Sebastian is doing bitcoin mining

A socially beneficial alternative would be SETI data processing

But surely the answer is a bit of assembler? I can do Z80 Z180 Z280 80×86 H8/300 H8/500 8031 8051 but not ARM…

The app obviously works fine. It would just improve usability if the data processing time was shortened, OR if the data download and processing could be done in the background while the screen (it’s not a traditional “moving map” because the map is fixed and the plane moves on it) is running, and then the updated screen would be displayed. Currently you have to exit the map screen, initiate a download, confirm some questions, and revert to the moving map, and wait while the data is processed before any data shows up.

Robin, just because I didn’t post a video of an Ipad with “Peter’s Ipad” written on it should not lead you to assume I was lying. I actually don’t post crap – contrary to what you hear from certain sources… Also there is more than one Ipad in the universe so the knowledge that mine is broken leads to the unsafe assumption that I could not have acquired the knowledge via another route What makes me a permanent target for swipes is (a) being a moderator, and (b) everyone else knowing that I won’t post stuff they (or someone else) told me privately It does get really tiresome at times, however.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message