Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Thanks for that extremely detailed explanation, @Sebastian_G

@PetitCessnaVoyageur here is an image from my flight back from Allendorf last Friday

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Jun 08:09
LFPT, LFPN

Thanks all for your ADL screenshot, and the flight stories associated !

I am a “light” user, and nevertheless great supporter of the ADL(120), which has found its place in my aircraft little after I passed my IR :-)

Jason is right, I was asking for a picture of a ground antenna. I really wondered what they looked like. Thanks to you !

@Aviathor
Your screenshot is too short !
Please give us more details of your flight !
What flight level ? Icing ? Inflight pictures of the weather ? Is your aircraft cured from its illness ? Do you confirm you’re alive ? :-)

Few years ago, flying from LFBU to LFBA.
Given the weather, I had decided, early in the cruise, to slow down as much as possible, to let the worst part of the weather move to the south east.
At the screenshot time, I had started the descent, and was on the STAR track.
The little yellow and orange cell one can see on the ADL image above LFBA, I later flew through during the approach, and remained as the most wet 45 seconds in my flight career ;-)
I should have waited a bit longer that the last cell had gone too…

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 11 Jun 13:02

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Your screenshot is too short !
Please give us more details of your flight !
What flight level ? Icing ? Inflight pictures of the weather ? Is your aircraft cured from its illness ? Do you confirm you’re alive ? :-)

Here are a few shots from flying through the “gap” at FL110

I did go through some clouds but never picked up any ice, and the flight was mostly VMC.

The starter adapter no longer slips, the oxygen hopefully no longer leaks and the electrical de-icing works.
And yesterday I flew to Lyon for the Aero Expo so I guess I am OK although somewhat sunburned.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Jun 13:55
LFPT, LFPN

NB: on the different ADL images, we can see that the resolution of the weather seem to have greatly improved other the years (plus the IR images have been added).
Maybe @Sebastian_G will tell us something about that improvement.

@Aviathor : glad you did it despite sunburn !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 11 Jun 15:34

You have to be careful not to confuse the resolution of the underlying information with any smoothing that is done in software.

Smoothing can make it seem higher resolution but it’s really only out of focus, as it were.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Is it only software smoothing ?
I had the impression the resolution was higher, but could be completely wrong.

You can specify different resolutions, but even the highest is still very grainy.

That can be made to look smoother in software, but that’s just window dressing.

And pointless, as you must only use the information as a broad brush.

EGKB Biggin Hill

You’re right

Golze ADL Panel mount versus iPad

I’m considering subscribing to this system. Could people who are using it comment on whether they find the iPad display alone best, or is the panel mount the better way to go? Or both?

I run SkyDemon on my iPad and like to use it for VFR navigation. I suppose I can toggle to the weather as needed. As a general matter, I find portables a bit exasperating (wires all over the place, power issues,etc) but use them anyway!

The ADL would be part of an IFR upgrade of the plane.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 28 Oct 14:31
Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message