Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV approaches - GS and minima

What’s interesting is that the GTN shows the LPV approach already when you select the approach. The GNS/W will let you select an RNAV approach and only announce once you get close enough if it will be an LPV or LNAV/VNAV or LNAV only

In Europe I am yet to see an LNAV/VNAV approach load as they are always inhibited by this Baro-VNAV problem.

EGTK Oxford

There is a very good GTN simulator app for the iPad created by Garmin. IIRC is was free for a trial period.

Sorry, not sure how to paste a screen shot into here on the iPad, but it does show the Shoreham EGKA 20 approach as LNAV+V.

Last Edited by NickP at 17 Dec 12:53
Stapleford, United Kingdom

In the light-GA context, there should be only

• LNAV
  • LNAV+V
  • LNAV/LPV

Is there such a thing as LNAV/VNAV or is that just another name for LNAV/+V i.e. the “advisory glideslope”?

The first one is what you get with a non-W box e.g. a KLN94.

The last one you get with a W box if it is a coded LPV approach.

The middle one you should get with a W box if

• there is a continuous FAF-MAP line on the Jepp chart, AND
  • no BARO-VNAV approach exists

Are there any exceptions?

not sure how to paste a screen shot into here on the iPad

I believe that on IOS devices the Upload File function on EuroGA enables you to upload an image from what Apple call the “Camera Roll” only. So you need to somehow create/edit an image and save it into the Camera Roll.

Fairly obviously there is no drag/drop available on clients on which every app runs full-screen i.e. IOS, Android, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LNAV/VNAV exists and can use SBAS for the VNAV.

EGTK Oxford

What’s the difference between LNAV/VNAV and LNAV/+V?

Can you point at any approach in Europe which is LNAV/VNAV? I’d like to see what the Jepp plate looks like.

Administrator

LPV and LNAV/VNAV both exist, with different minima. Sometimes LNAV/VNAV is written LNAV/V … while LNAV+V describes the approach with an advisory glideslope, that can nevertheless be flown coupled aswell

Here’s one. What’s crazy is that in this case the LPV minima is higher than LNAV/VNAV … i guess that will change soon

LNAV+V is the advisory glide slope. LNAV MDA apply.

LNAV/V is what the Garmin GPS shows when LNAV/VNAV minima apply. You get a glide slope and the LNAV/VNAV DA apply.

Flying LNAV/VNAV minima with an SBAS GPS is called “EGNOS enabled APV-Baro”.
According to this presentation https://egnos-user-support.essp-sas.eu/new_egnos_ops/sites/default/files/workshop2015/EGNOS_plans_2016.pdf
there should be several EGNOS enabled APV-Baro procedures.

I would just like to know which ones they are.

ESTL

Here’s one.

That is an LPV approach. The dashed line shows that – as for ILS

Is there an LNAV/VNAV non-LPV one?

LNAV/V is what the Garmin GPS shows when LNAV/VNAV minima apply. You get a glide slope and the LNAV/VNAV DA apply.

It then sounds like LNAV/VNAV is exactly the same as LNAV/+V but with better minima?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message