Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV approaches - GS and minima

From Garmin simulator on iPad.

Stapleford, United Kingdom

Peter, I don’t know how to post it but look at RNAV GPS to 14L at EDDK.

EGTK Oxford

There are some definitions in the PPL/IR Europe PBN Manual for LNAV+V and LNAV/VNAV which indicate that the LNAV+V is a Garmin concept for an advisory glideslope (sorry, don’t want to copy here from someone else’s documents).

Stapleford, United Kingdom

LNAV+V is a Garmin concept

I don’t think so – see here

Avidyne have it too on their IFD boxes.

Also I would be surprised if Garmin were able to hack the data which they buy from Jepp.

And I would be totally amazed if Avidyne had enough beans left to pay somebody to do it

Looking at that EDDK one, 710ft v 730ft (for both LNAV and LNAV+V) is an awfully thin distinction… what would make this worthwhile? It’s obviously not that common. Must be some obstacle clearance technicality, since all this stuff is pure-GPS based.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NickP wrote:

don’t want to copy here from someone else’s documents

But I guess we can link to it, since the people who wrote the original version decided they wanted to keep it public. It’s really worth a read especially for this kind of persnickety questions like the difference between LNAV+V and LNAV/VNAV.

Peter wrote:

I don’t think so – see here

Be it a Garmin invention or not – what we can say is that LNAV+V is inofficial by its very nature. From a regulatory and procedure design standpoint, it is just an LNAV approach.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 17 Dec 14:44

What would be “official”, however?

+V merely clears all obstacles between FAF and MAP. That’s what you are supposed to fly anyway.

The data is not government or CAA generated. Well, originally it is generated by a national CAA (or a private contractor) and Jepp lift it out of the AIP and redraft it. One could argue the AIP plates are “official”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From a regulatory and procedure design standpoint, it is just an LNAV approach.

Yes, that’s correct. Bit it has the great advantage that you use the autopilot to fly it coupled.

You guys are mixing up two separate types of annunciations. LPV and LNAV/VNAV are APV and the vertical guidance is an official part of the procedure. In the US, these are charted with a DA. The annunciation for LPV is straight forward and is LPV. The annunciation for LNAV/VNAV is L/VNAV on the GNS430W/530W and LNAV/VNAV on the GTN series. In the US, the LNAV minimums are not to a DA but to an MDA(H). There is no official vertical guidance for these procedures, but the manufacturer of the equipment and their database supplier can provide an advisory vertical guidance which is annunciated as LNAV+V. Anything that has +V on its annunciation is not an official part of the approach. In the US, the LNAV straight in procedure is predicated on a single level ROC (required obstacle clearance) surface of 250 feet and the +V provides absolutely no guarantee of obstacle clearance below the MDA as all obstacles in the visual segment must be avoided visually.

You should never see an LNAV+V annunciation for a procedure that is coded for an LPV or LNAV/VNAV. You might see LNAV if there is a downgrade on such an approach. All downgrades are to LNAV without any vertical guidance.

One may not fly an LNAV/VNAV procedure unless they have LPV or LNAV/VNAV type annunciation. If the annunciation is LNAV, there is no vertical guidance being provided regardless of the available minimums depicted on the chart. Any state can determine what the permissible criteria are for an LNAV/VNAV procedure. It appears that some states have effectively banned them using a WAAS GPS for the vertical on LNAV/VNAV approaches. In other cases, specific approaches may not be coded for LNAV/VNAV because of software issues in the Garmin equipment. The RNAV (GPS) RWY14L at EDDK is an example of an approach that Garmin had an issue with because the final approach course is 7.0 NM or greater. An upgrade in the software is now available to resolve this issue, but it still requires a database update to recode it with a GS.

Here in the US, there are so few approaches where there is an LNAV/VNAV minimum but that does not have an LPV on the same procedure. Because of that fact, I teach students that they can ignore the LNAV/VNAV minimums as it will be a dozen blue moons before they see such an annunciation on their GNS/GTN equipment. Even if they do see it, they just fly the procedure to the DA just like they would with an LPV.

Edit: One last point, if an approach has LPV minimums, you will never see LNAV/VNAV annuciated, even if it is an option on the procedure. The annunciation will either be LPV or LNAV in the case of a downgrade.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 17 Dec 15:08
KUZA, United States

If someone who has a European database subscription for a GNS430W/530W can PM me, it would be appreciated.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message