Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Still IOS only, and even the android version stops working if the device is rooted. So that rules out all proper computers

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So that rules out all proper computers

No, just rules out you.

A great set of changes. Becoming an excellent tool now.

EGTK Oxford

Starting my trial today. Excited!

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Peter wrote:

Still IOS only, and even the android version stops working if the device is rooted. So that rules out all proper computers

They are probably better off spending all their money on iOS and making it a great tool that outshines all the others and THEN port it to Android / other systems, than having an average tool on all the platforms. Having people tell they actively switched from one system to theirs is very good publicity. Android stuff also has to work on more hardware so might be even more dev resource intensive than iOS.
People I know in the app startup world focus all on iOS way before Android as they know the iOS customers generally 1) are happier to spend money (they buy apple, after all!) and 2) more likely to set trends.

The reality is lately I haven’t met with a single pilot (especially who does long trips) which didn’t have an iPad (and uses it in the plane). I think I’ll actually have to wait to go to a EuroGA fly in for that ;), and sadly it won’t be this weekend.

I found a couple of bugs with the W&B facility:

I can’t find a way to enter a negative arm for the front fuel tank, for instance in my Mudry CAP 10?

Also, for both fuel tanks, there seems to be a bug with the “maximum fuel” setting: when I type, say, 72 L on the pop-up keypad, the entry shows as 1031.7 L. If I type 5 L, the entry shows as 71,6 L. In other words, the app multiplies whatever I type by about 14.33. Maybe it would work better in US gallons, but CAP 10 is a silly French aeroplane and even the cowling screws are metric.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Since the new update I can’t display the Jeppesen plates anymore. Has someone had the same problem and found a solution for it? Deactivate and activate again with a new download did not help.

EDDS , Germany

I had to reactivate but it then worked fine.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Bug fix released today, 8.5.1. The problem with the Jeppesen charts is fixed now. I got the confirmation about it from Garmin support direct.

EDDS , Germany

Unfortunately I don’t think they’ve fixed the “maximum fuel” bug, nor allowed for a negative arm front fuel tank, common in Jodels, etc. So we’ll have to wait for version 8.5.2 for fully functional weight & balance. Still, it looks promising.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Garmin Pilot 8.5.2 released including bug fixes. Will Jacko find his one fixed?

France
Sign in to add your message