Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

That’s what checklists are for ;-)

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

That’s what checklists are for ;-)

No checklists are for things that can hurt me or the aircraft. Not things that are inconvenient.

EGTK Oxford

A quick question for pilots in the Paris area:

On a recent visit to Picardie, one of these two “prohibited” areas, (Nesle and Saint-Gobain) popped up on my GP VFR moving map.

However, they are absent from EasyVFR and the IGN chart:

On ferreting about in the AIP, it seems that these two P zones only apply to military aircraft. Are they war cemeteries?

Conversely, GP’s current nav database does not include the (admittedly rather vague) Fretoy le Château para-dropping zone which is marked on the IGN chart and about which the local FISOs seem to be quite protective.

Last Edited by Jacko at 14 Oct 20:32
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Does GP offer in flight weather in Europe?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Does GP offer in flight weather in Europe?

No.

EGTK Oxford

Given that no (free) in flight wx is being broadcast in Europe, the receiving device is not the greatest issue

Probably the best option is the current ADL product, or a Thuraya satellite phone for those who like to mess about more, and who want email, www, IM etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

No.

Is that because Iridium GO doesn’t work?
GP has rain radar / IR / wind / metars etc. It does pick up when you get internet connection in the air.

GP has rain radar / IR / wind / metars etc. It does pick up when you get internet connection in the air.

Iridium GO does not provide a real Internet access. It can do phone calls and text but the Internet feature is pure marketing. It is so slow and the connection drops so often that you can not use it in real life. I have been playing with it and before I even got the google start page (without images) to display I used up many minutes of satellite airtime and tore my hair out because of all the disconnects etc.

If you want real on board internet you need Inmarsat (or even more expensive stuff) which means 25k USD and up for the installation and 40 USD and up per hour if you buy lots of hours.

On a lower budget you can only buy Iridium special purpose weather devices from Garmin (GSR56) Avidyne (MLX770) or me (ADL140, ADL150).

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Noe wrote:

For internet, that is correct. It is unusable in flight or on the ground for even basic stripped back internet.

EGTK Oxford

Sebastian_G wrote:

or me (ADL140, ADL150)

Is ADL Iridium based too? Same connection as the Go!, but with optimization to transfer minimum amounts of data?

LPFR, Poland
Sign in to add your message