Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

loco wrote:

Is ADL Iridium based too? Same connection as the Go!, but with optimization to transfer minimum amounts of data?

Yes it is Iridium based but uses a different protocol which seems far more reliable but wouldn’t work for the general internet. His system is also highly optimised to be very efficient with data compression.

EGTK Oxford

OK, AeroPlus app with Iridium Go! also uses some point to point protocol instead of IP.
I’m guessing it is cheaper, but my experience was that the connection failed a lot.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

OK, AeroPlus app with Iridium Go! also uses some point to point protocol instead of IP.
I’m guessing it is cheaper, but my experience was that the connection failed a lot.

I didn’t find a big cost difference. The ADL is so efficient that your data charges are very low even with regular usage.

EGTK Oxford

Do the Garmin inReach devices that pair with GP then not offer the weather data?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

We did this before a few times. I believe these Iridium services use UDP rather than TCP. That avoids protocol problems due to high latencies, and lends itself to weather images because it doesn’t matter if a “line” in the image goes missing. And for stuff like tafs or metars, you can send a whole bundle of those in a single packet, and can just send the packet a few times for good measure. Each UDP packet has a CRC on it and if you implement a simple numbering scheme then you can transmit a weather image very efficiently and it will work even if the packets arrive in a different order. There is no need for the upper protocol (TCP) which anyway breaks so easily with satellite comms.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

We did this before a few times. I believe these Iridium services use UDP rather than TCP.

That’s not correct. Products like ADL use nothing of the sort of IP or TCP or UDP. It is an Iridium proprietary protocol called Short Burst Data. It is very restricted compared to traditional socket protocols.

I know this is a highly charged issue ;-) but the lack of a “Go flying” button in GP is causing me problems with iPad battery management. For the small benefit of not having to remember to press “Go flying” I have to remember to close the app or risk finding my tablet’s already at 70% by the time I get to the airport.

Anyone found settings to avoid this?

EGTF, LFTF

There is a setting to try:
Settings-Navigation-Prevent Auto-Lock —> Never

It helps to to save battery by keeping the app running in the background when not using it. There is a lot of battery needed for display purposes. AFAIK that is the most you can do. A “Go Flying” button would not do better.

I keep my iPad plugged into the onboard charger when flying. Even a little portable battery can do that very efficiently.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 07 Nov 08:00
France

Thanks – even with the display turned off the battery gets severely depleted if e.g. you prepare your flight the evening before and forget to terminate the app. It’s the location services (GPS) which drains the battery in this case and “Go flying” would solve it.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

e.g. you prepare your flight the evening before and forget to terminate the app. It’s the location services (GPS) which drains the battery in this case and “Go flying” would solve it.

As yet, I regularly do not close the app when going to sleep and leave the iPad just on the desk. I never had the battery drained the next morning. I will recheck this tonight but I’m quite sure.

France
Sign in to add your message