Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GNS/GTN database costs and coverage discussion (merged)

Does the Jepp FRA office still reply? Recent Jepp communication seems to indicate that the only route to them is now via the online shop. Where is the AOPA 15% discount „published“? When ordering online, it is possible to enter a coupon code, so there is likely one for AOPA members…. but what is it?

Last Edited by chflyer at 11 Aug 22:47
LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Does the Jepp FRA office still reply? Recent Jepp communication seems to indicate that the only route to them is now via the online shop. Where is the AOPA 15% discount „published“? When ordering online, it is possible to enter a coupon code, so there is likely one for AOPA members…. but what is it?

Two days ago, I tried to contact jeppesen using the contact form on the shop (a question about bundles), but I am still waiting a reply.

When looking “aopa jeppesen discount” on google, you find easily the page on the aopa website for a 10% discount, but you need to be logged in to see the code.

LFBZ, France

jeff64 wrote:

Two days ago, I tried to contact jeppesen using the contact form on the shop (a question about bundles), but I am still waiting a reply.

Good luck. I am waiting a month for a reply, and the chat operators tell me I need to email to get the info as they can’t give it. Shambles.

United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

In June, I got a Jeppesen renewal invoice without the discount (which I previously had). On suggestion by another poster (can’t remember if it was here or on PPL/IR Europe), I sent Jepp FRA an email. To my great surprise they replied within a day or two with a new invoice including the 15% discount! That was much different than my experiences of Jepp FRA from last year, so just maybe things are getting back to normal. Or I was simply in luck.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jeppesen seems to offer three databases on the GNSxxx series: Central Europe (which excludes real central Europe like Poland!), International and Worldwide. Prices range from €312 to €558 for the annual cycle.

It would be interesting to know what subscriptions the forum uses for Garmin and as a complement, on ForeFlight.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Central Europe

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I have international, mostly to get Poland and Lithuania for my trip to/from Termikas. Before that I had central. But there are several interesting Polish destinations, so I’ll probably keep the international.

EHRD, Netherlands

Interesting. I have never flown to Poland but would like to. I have the Central Europe database; it would never have occurred to me that it wouldn’t include Poland. But why on earth not???

Last Edited by Mark_B at 15 May 20:25
EGCJ, United Kingdom

I’m in the process of electing a subscription for my built-in devices; and for Jeppesen charts. And as I want to think through it one time and forget about it, I’m puzzling about the options.

I have a GTN 650 and a GNS 430. So I’m not able to show charts on the built-in devices.

I would only need charts for Foreflight on the iPad (and to print them out).

Now I’ve been told from Jeppesen that there is no bundle for the GTN and GNS together. I was doomed to take a PilotPak that only included the one GTN 650 device, and another subscription for the GNS 430. But that’s another story.

If we stick to the GTN 650 we’re talking about 1.815 Euros for Europe IFR including charts.

However, there exists a “Europe IFR without charts”-Pak from Jeppesen, for “only” 880 Euros, that’s a difference of 935 Euros. According to the list that’s including all the same minus charts (four installs).

A subscription for European Jeppesen IFR charts via Foreflight costs 579 Dollars for three installs. That’s a lot cheaper than from Jeppesen, and I won’t need even three installs. Two would be nice, but even one install would be ok.

Am I missing anything here? Wouldn’t I have all the same if I took the “Europe IFR without charts”-Pak for the GTN 650 from Jeppesen and buy charts via Foreflight?

If that is correct – anyone here willing to share his IFR charts for foreflight?

Germany

You are not missing anything. You have no use for a subscription that allows you to display charts on in-plane fixed avionics, since your avionics is incapable of that. Take the cheaper option that is limited to mobile devices, or to one mobile device.

You can take a “1 install” (1 app on one iPad) licence directly from Jeppesen like e.g. https://shop.jeppesen.com/All-Products/Flight-Operations/Digital-Charts/Digital-Charts/Mobile-FliteDeck/p/10857163_10505656_12902606-15321342-15321462-15321175 or buy coverages through Foreflight, which will even be cheaper than the “1 install” directly from Jeppesen (and allow access from a second iPad with the same Foreflight account). I have no idea why one would take the direct Jeppesen option to use with Foreflight (now, if you want to use it with another app than Foreflight, such as e.g. Garmin Pilot, that’s a reason).

If you are an AOPA member, claim your AOPA member rebate from Jeppesen!

Last Edited by lionel at 18 Nov 16:53
ELLX
Sign in to add your message