Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

When a friend here bought his Mooney it came with a portable oxygen bottle which may or may not have been used for some time before he bought the plane.
He took it to a Scuba diving place in Cholet LFOU. In his write up for the club journal I’m pretty sure he wrote that they tested it and filled it for €15. I’ll see if I can dig the write up out and check I am remembering correctly and ask him for the contact details if you are interested.

France

OK. I bought this transfer hose from Amazon: https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B07KQ9VRFB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then I have this massive Oxygen tank sitting in my cellar now for almost half a year (not touched yet). Picture attached.
And I have this small oxygen bottle that I use in the aircraft with the Mountain High O2D2 pulse regulator.

So … who recognizes the connectors and knows that I need to buy to connect the odds together? The transfer hose does not fit, so I assume I need some adapter.

EDLE, Netherlands

gallois wrote:

He took it to a Scuba diving place in Cholet LFOU. In his write up for the club journal I’m pretty sure he wrote that they tested it and filled it for €15.

Interesting… Allmost sounds to good to be true :-) Could very well be a way forward then.
Sounds a bit like maybe all scuba shops can do this (?) If so I would then use a local shop obviously to avoid shipping.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Is this a scuba shop you use? We have scuba shops here but I would be worried if they know how to handle an aviation O2 bottle? Regular scuba bottle are treated quite differently and made from much thicker material.

Scuba shops mostly subcontract testing here. I send mine off in a parcel. Sure; scuba shops get nervous of anybody who doesn’t look like a scuba diver (in the UK, anybody who doesn’t smell of beer ).

Aeroplus – the small Skyox cylinder looks like a US 540 thread, and the big cylinder looks like the UK “bullnose” fitting. This is mine. Maybe this fitting is not specific to British Oxygen?

The company which made my transfer hose is mentioned here. That goes from bullnose to 540.

Your transfer hose might be DIN to DIN. @emir might recognise it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AeroPlus wrote:

who recognizes the connectors and knows that I need to buy to connect the odds together?

Well at least it doesn’t look like DIN 477-1 Nr.9 (fitting G 3/4 Inch), as is used e.g. in Germany for oxygen bottles – and I thought as well in whole Europe. So easiest way to find out the connector type would be to ask the supplier or to read on their homepage, they should indicate that.

The Sky-Ox Bottle should have CGA-540, as mentioned Peter, this is common in the U.S. since decades. But I would recheck that also.

The hose that you have, does it fit in any one of the bottles? It looks like a DIN hose, but the Scuba fittings of G 1/4 Inch (ah yes, the Amazon link tells the same). I assume that they fit on neither of the bottles. So what you need is an adapter from CGA-540 to Scuba, to fit to your hose, this item may be found in equipment providers for technical diving. For example here (which is a German company, where I bought parts for my adapters, but there will exist other shops too). Then you need an adapter from “G 1/4” to the bullnose. Maybe you find it in the same shop.

You could as well buy another transfer hose…

Last Edited by UdoR at 05 Aug 09:09
Germany

Oxygen bottles for sale or rent in Belgium and the Netherlands are fitted with a NEN3268 RI2 5/8"R fitting.

I bought the Scott to CGA540 converter from Wleferrand and now I am looking to buy or compile a transferhose from above-mentioned Oxygen fitting to CGA540 to refill my internal oxygen tank from a rented/bought masterbottle at about 200bar.

Anyone any pointers?

Appreciated.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium
EBST

Niner_Mike wrote:

Anyone any pointers?

As I said, you should find those adapters in shops for technical diving. They suffer from the same problem, they carry their equipment to diving spots around the world and the local suppliers may or may not provide adapters (and they, too, have to buy the adapters in some place).

But only in technical diving you’ll find pure oxygen (and other gases). So I assume that a shop in the Netherlands or Belgium should have such an adapter in store.

Germany

Thanks.
I am triggering all diveshops via phone/email now. I want to find out where they buy their adapters/hoses.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Niner_Mike wrote:

I am triggering all diveshops via phone/email now. I want to find out where they buy their adapters/hoses

Well I simply put the specifications for the adapters which I needed into google and found several shops who had them. Maybe you have to introduce something in between, so from connector A to B and then from B to C.

In the end it wasn’t all too difficult. For my plane I went from Scott to CGA-540 via the adapter available on aircraft-spruce, and from CGA-540 you’ll find any adapter in shops for technical divers. I wanted the German G 3/4 which is common here and found it right away. They’re not cheap, can be up to three digits depending on the type. But it shouldn’t be any more than half an hour to find one.

Maybe you put “tec diving” or “technical diving” in the google search, I think this might sort out the results a bit better..

Edit: Just as a reminder: keep trace of whether you need male or female for any side of connectors

Last Edited by UdoR at 05 Aug 15:00
Germany
Sign in to add your message