Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Not having seen a pic I am only guessing but it sounds like you have a standard British Oxygen cylinder which is the “bullnose” fitting. You can get conversion fittings to go into that, or have a short hose made up (link to one company in my above article) with whatever fitting on that.

Constant flow cannulas are a terrible waste of gas. Literally 5x relative to a demand reg. But with the Oxymiser “moustache” cannulas you get a 2.5x saving which is worth having. OTOH you don’t want to share cannulas across people, and these cost a bit more…

Remember the pilot needs to be able to see the pressure gauge for the cylinder itself. In fitted systems (typically on turbo aircraft) this is done by a thin metal tube (with a tiny hole in the middle) which goes all the way from the cylinder to a gauge in the panel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you have a huge capacity / easy way of refilling, and if you regularly fly with changing people, then simple cannulas make sense. You can buy them for cents literally. On the other hand, Oxymizers are 40 a piece.

But if your capacity is limited and you mostly fly alone or with the same 2 or three people, then the Oxymizers (or even an O2D2) is the way to go.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What’s the easiest way to refill my standard DIN valve oxygen bottles myself?

I heard that if o2 flows too quickly the hoses can get too hot?!

always learning
LO__, Austria

What’s the easiest way to refill my standard DIN valve oxygen bottles myself?

Option 1: find friendly scuba shop and let them fill it.

Option 2: lease big 50 liter O2 tank and buy transfer hose (O2 compliant) and do it yourself.

I heard that if o2 flows too quickly the hoses can get too hot?!

The problem with temperature is related to something that can catch fire in O2 atmosphere. With low transfer rate you avoid increasing temperature of all components involved and thus decrease the possibility of fire. However, the most important thing is that all equipment is made of oxygen compatible materials and that all are oxygen clean. Any grease used must be O2 comptatible (christolube 111, molykote 111 or similar). And other grease or dirt can easily catch fire during transfer.

Last Edited by Emir at 27 Jan 16:32
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Option 3 is to buy the one or two 50L refill bottle(s). Depending on local store options might come cheaper than leasing.

Germany

BOC sell a combined regulator/flowmeter for the biggish cylinders that I mentioned earlier: https://www.boconline.ie/shop/en/ireland/mediselect-dial-flow-regulator-o2-pin-index-barb-19330565

You could pair that with an ‘E’ cylinder which is a more manageable 6.5 kg and carries 680 L of O2, costs €6 per month to rent, and €10 to fill.

This might be a low hassle way to do things. Probably not applicable to non-UK and Ireland folks but maybe Air Liquide and Air Products do similar.

EIMH, Ireland

I’ll be loaning an AL-647 for some of my long-distance Europe trips this summer. Are there any places to get them refilled in London (Central?)

I understand Biggin hill does them, but that’s £150+ no?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Ask John at North Weald aviation hangar 6, he will know someone? (or ask at Lasham Gliding or London Gliding Club), it’s expensive though, as they may ask for money plus wine bottles from France !

If no luck, you can plug O2 in LeTouquet, Toussus & Pontoise if they are on your way

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Apr 16:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Ask John at North Weald aviation hangar 6, he will know someone? (or ask at Lasham Gliding or London Gliding Club), it’s expensive though, as they may ask for money plus wine bottles from France !

Haha sounds like Aviation. Do you have contacts for John?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

If you have an IR and want to use it in Europe, you will need your own kit, two O2D2 regs, and a nice big cylinder

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message