Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Yes, but according to the regulation as it is now, one is not be able to fly say a one-hour flight at FL100 without at least having O2 on board. This I don’t like.

Not necessarily.

Suppose, in accordance with paragraph A, you decided that all crew members must have an O2 saturation of no less than 80%, and all passengers no less than 75%.

You could carry O2 on board and when they reach those levels, use the O2.

However you could also decide that if their levels drop to does levels + 5% (so crew at 85% or Pax at 80%), that you commence a descent to PREVENT them dropping to a level that O2 is requred.

The ability to set your own level, I think gives you this option.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

boscomantico wrote:

Yes, but according to the regulation as it is now, one is not be able to fly say a one-hour flight at FL100 without at least having O2 on board. This I don’t like.

Where do you get that from? 2016/1199 also changed the rule to

‘NCO.IDE.A.155 Supplemental oxygen — non-pressurised aeroplanes
Non-pressurised aeroplanes operated when an oxygen supply is required in accordance with NCO.OP.190 shall be equipped with oxygen storage and dispensing apparatus capable of storing and dispensing the required oxygen supplies.’;

Bookworm,

I think Boscomantico is getting at this part

NCO.OP.190 Use of supplemental oxygen
a) The pilot-in-command shall ensure that all flight crew members engaged in performing duties essential to the safe operation of an aircraft in flight use supplemental oxygen continuously whenever he/she determines that at the altitude of the intended flight the lack of oxygen might result in impairment of the faculties of crew members, and shall ensure that supplemental oxygen is available to passengers when lack of oxygen might harmfully affect passengers.

Particulary the last part, which puts a requirement on the PIC to make sure that O2 is available. Of course if the PIC determines that the altitude isn’t likely to be harmfully affect the passengers, then they don’t need to carry it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Particulary the last part, which puts a requirement on the PIC to make sure that O2 is available. Of course if the PIC determines that the altitude isn’t likely to be harmfully affect the passengers, then they don’t need to carry it.

…and there is a big difference between “impairment of faculties”, which is applicable to flight crew, and “harmfully affect”, which is applicable to passengers.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have just noticed AFE at Oxford are doing refills at £30 inc VAT.

That’s pricey but if you have a big cylinder you aren’t likely to need more than 2 or 3 a year and that is still cheaper than renting the BOC cylinder like I do.

AFE also sell the MH gear but I don’t know if – like most resellers – they just order it back to back and add a margin to the MH list price.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s pricey

Pricey? I pay +100€ per refill. I might just as well fly to EBKT

Last Edited by Aviathor at 14 Oct 08:08
LFPT, LFPN

Is there any updated information about where Oxy cylinders can be tested and the prices?

I have 3 O2 cylinders that require testing. Apparently Bigata no longer provides that service, and another facility in Meaux ask 190 € excl VAT per bottle. Diving bottles can be done for about 42 £ if I believe what I read on the Internet

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Is there any updated information about where Oxy cylinders can be tested and the prices?

Try HUGEN at Zevenaar, Netherlands: [email protected]. I need to go there this year as well. It would be nice to get a report.

Berlin, Germany

You can get aluminium scuba cylinders tested quite cheaply – of the order of 50 quid last time I did mine – but you won’t get “aviation paperwork”, so the Q becomes whether your A&P needs that or not i.e. the “usual aviation situation”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but you won’t get “aviation paperwork”,

Well in fact, the required periodic testing is DOT mandated NOT FAA . It’s exactly the same rule for transporting ANY/ALL high pressure vessels !

So if the scuba shop/ welder supply / medical, etc. facility that’s doing the testing can test to DOT Standard then that’s all that’s needed.

break – break

I got 2 quotes, Hugen in NL and CEMG Sauvetage in France. Both quoted about 190€ (+VAT) per Cylinder, and we have 3 (small) cylinders so that’s almost 600€ ….

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message