Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine options (crankshaft AD not done)

Another thing, which may not be valid anymore after the 12 years have ended: Lyco used to do deals, whereby they would do an overhaul at a reduced cost, depending on how much time the engine had. These deals were always under an NDA and since even people who I thought would say “something” never said a word, I suspect they contained a liquidated damages clause. The said people (I know of 3 or 4) were really happy with the deal they got My feeling is that if you turned up with a 1500hr engine, Lyco did the overhaul at 3/4 of the normal cost, or something like that. So I would look into this. Contact Lyco in the USA, or maybe one of their big dealers in Europe.

For sure the CAMO is negligent in this case.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I still want to sell her. I guess the most viable options are “as is” and the Lyco rebuild.
The crankshaft kit alone runs something like 25k and from Peter’s post above there’s a lot more around it so let’s say 35 only to solve a regulatory issue. The engine runs very well but it is beyond the recommended lifetime of twelve years and will be at TBO in 700h.
To get the current engine overhauled will also likely involve the 25k kit on top of the overhaul.
“As is” would in my view only attract the vultures and limit transportation to a container or a ferry permit. I will talk to Lycoming about the rebuild cost and hope they still throw in the crankshaft for free.
I did check Sebastian’s offer for his crankshaft but this seems to be a different part number.

Last Edited by mrfacts at 16 Apr 07:18
EDLN and EDKB

I know I’ve said this a couple of times already but has the company made you an offer?

If they think you will end up a few tens of k out of pocket and just smile at them, well, welcome to the world of GA…

Another thing to be aware of is that no reputable engine shop will reassemble an engine which doesn’t comply with the repair/overhaul manual. I don’t know the details but AIUI any corrosion needs to be removed, and given that it tends to be in the cylinders to start with (below the bottom ring travel) this leads to a top overhaul.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am still in the stage of fact finding. They will make an offer by Tuesday.

EDLN and EDKB

Have you thought about a used engine. Not ideal I know.

Near Luton

@146fixer
I will consider ALL options. If you can point me in the right direction I will certainly follow up.

EDLN and EDKB

I don’t know what the market is for 182s, but for 172s it’s non existent today. I would think your best (economical) option is to fix the crank and fly it as long as it will fly. That is probably not what you want, so the other option is renting/leasing it out, cutting the losses to a minimum.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving

From the indication that I had the plane on the market for a couple of weeks I can only say that the market is pretty good especially for new generation Turbo 182s. The T182T is not built by Cessna any more and there is demand for the unique capabilities of a tourer that can fly high and in and out of short fields. When you check the US market you will find this kind of plane offered at USD200.000+ and the new engine should add a blue book value of USD40.000+. Once I’ve sold her I’ll be able to confirm the numbers.

EDLN and EDKB

Mrfacts I’m sorry but i don’t have a lead on one right now

Near Luton

USD 70.000 later and having missed the flying season at least I am back in business. This is now a factory rebuilt for the price of an overhaul – the best deal I could get out of Lycoming.. It comes with zero hours and a two year warranty. After a sunny weekend in Germany it now has three hours in the log.

EDLN and EDKB
Sign in to add your message