Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine options (crankshaft AD not done)

Glad you got it sorted.. what an awful situation to end up in!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What’s the breakdown on the 70k spent?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Glad you got it sorted..

Anything can get sorted out with €€€. But assume that the airplane will not be sold now? So sad. :feelyourpain:

Last Edited by Aviathor at 31 Oct 17:51
LFPT, LFPN

@boscomantico: 70k is for the engine alone including 2k for freight

@aviathor: I will keep her for now but nothing sad about it. I learned the value of what I have over the past 6 months

EDLN and EDKB

good to read ! Did you have a chance sueing the previous owner and/or the CAMO ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Could you sue the owner? I thought a plane is like a car or a house i.e. “sold as seen” unless express personal warranties are offered (e.g. “the autopilot works 100%”) and can be proven (made in writing). That’s why a prebuy is important… Also in most cases the new owner would be admitting he was flying it with a known lack of airworthiness

The CAMO was acting illegally issuing a release to service with an AD not complied with. But good luck with litigation there; a good chance of getting chucked off the airport if you are based there. GA is always “politics first”.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The CAMO was acting illegally issuing a release to service with an AD not complied with.

… and NOT just once, but every single Annual or 100H Inspection since 2006 !

Last Edited by Michael at 01 Nov 09:19
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

. . would be interesting to see exactly what the log-book entry was re. this AD – Was it “signed off” as NA by serial number or was it never mentioned whatsoever ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It’s water under the bridge…

The previous owner sold the plane in financial difficulties so I won’t be able to recover any money from him. The CAMO didn’t check thoroughly but there’s no harm done that I could claim. I am considering changing the CAMO from next year though ^^

EDLN and EDKB

The CAMO didn’t check thoroughly but there’s no harm done that I could claim

Not really… given that everybody and their dog in GA had known about the Lycoming crankshaft saga, 2002 onwards, they were incredibly negligent, and the result is the money you had to pay out for the new engine, minus the value of the old engine. Probably a few tens of k €.

In private ops there is no economic value of downtime, which keeps litigation down and limits downtime claims to deals done privately between FTOs and engine makers.

would be interesting to see exactly what the log-book entry was re. this AD – Was it “signed off” as NA by serial number or was it never mentioned whatsoever ?

Yes that would be really interesting

Having said this, a number of TB20 owners got caught too, assisted by negligent maintenance companies.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message