Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

Pitch and Roll is on the CAN, so technically it could be done with a new version of the GAD 29 which has to do the signal conversion.

The avionics in my Katmai was fitted out in Denver by a pal who used to work for Garmin. I E mailed him about the G5 questions and this is his reply:

The Garmin G5 is not approved as a
stand-by attitude indicator. Therefore it cannot be used to replace your
vacuum attitude indicator. There are electric attitude indicators that you
can use as a standby instrument. I would recommend waiting to see what new
products might be introduced in 2018 for this purpose. We have been using
the Mid Continent SAM as a backup instrument for the G500 as well as the L3
ESI-500. Both of these replace the backup airspeed indicator, attitude
indicator, and altimeter. They are also more expensive than the G5.

Right now we are busy designing the next generation of Katmai/Kenai panels for the new Garmin TXi
products and autopilot. FYI there will be an upgrade available for your
S-TEC System 55x to the new S-TEC 3100 autopilot sometime next year.

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Plenty of good info here, thanks.
My club wants to make some F172 IFR again with dual G5s, GTN650 and a GFC500.

When can we expect this config to be approved by EASA ?

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

My club wants to make some F172 IFR again with dual G5s, GTN650 and a GFC500.

Isn’t that already covered by the Garmin STC’s?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hi,

Is the garmin G5 a good and cheap solution to fly GNSS approach coupled with a GPS like GNS430W or GTN ?

Third-Party autopilot and Garmin G5

Thanks

LFMD, France

Getting one installed on the 28th so I’ll report back, though with just a few hours of IR training done my report likely won’t be much use!

EIMH, Ireland

I have just read something on a US site about the G5. The complications around its certification seem to be centred on the fact that it isn’t TSOd – as mentioned here and Garmin don’t want to compete with their existing product line.

It would be interesting to work out a comparison between the G5 and say the Sandel SN3500. I don’t know enough about the G5 to be able to do that, however. Nobody in light GA is installing the SN3500 now but that box does more or less everything including driving analog autopilots from an ARINC429 “W” GPS data stream.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The SN3500 does mutch more than the Garmin G5
A few examples the SN3500 provides a switched Autopliot output (left/richt-up-down) so your Autopilot follows whatever is displayed on the SN3500
the AP is connected to the SN3500 (for the L/R and Up/Down info)
The G5 / GAD29B doesn’t do this (it switsches the output of the connected GTN) the AP is connected to the GTNfor this information.

The G5 doesn’t have a moving map like the SN3500 (also no stormscope information)

The G5 interface to other equipment is very limited. (compairing to the SN3500)

@ Jujupilote,
The G5 Attitude and HSI is already approved (FAA and EASA) GFC500 for 172 expected in January for FAA , EASA to be followed shortly

Thank you Airborne_Again and Jetprop, I was a bit confused by the different STCs and limitations of the G5 so I wondered if using it as a primary instrument for IFR.

We hope to take the first 172 such equipped to AERO 2018, maybe we’ll see some of you there !
Otherwise we’ll take it as it is, VFR only.

LFOU, France

Jetprop wrote:

A few examples the SN3500 provides a switched Autopliot output (left/richt-up-down) so your Autopilot follows whatever is displayed on the SN3500
the AP is connected to the SN3500 (for the L/R and Up/Down info)
The G5 / GAD29B doesn’t do this (it switsches the output of the connected GTN) the AP is connected to the GTNfor this information.

I don’t follow. The SN3500 gets its L/R and U/D info from the navigator. Why would there be a difference if the A/P gets the info from the SN3500 or from the navigator directly? In both cases it has the same source.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message