Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

It seems that for a simple AI one gets back to the G5. Where the G5 seems to fail is when you want it to drive some other specific stuff…

Yep, this is exactly the issue. I’m trying to figure out a solution across our fleet.

ArcticChiller, i think it’s the first G5 cockpit I see with the flush mount, looks so much better like that!

EGTF, LFTF

I think it is more than just for a simple AI. It all depends on your overall strategy. The G5 really shines if you are also planning for the GFC500 which gives you a highly capable (IAS hold, VNAV etc) digital autopilot for a decent price. New servos cost about half a what a overhaul of the King servos cost …
The newly released VNAV function on the GTN plays nicely on the G5.
You just won‘t get this kind of integration when mixing different brands.
Again – it all depends on your update strategy …

Seems like a Garmin suite comprising G5/G5 + GTN650/750 + GFC500 is a very competitive package for a legacy SEP @ < $20K !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I’m trying to figure out a solution across our fleet.

Perhaps it would be better to put the Q in this thread

Seems like a Garmin suite comprising G5/G5 + GTN650/750 + GFC500 is a very competitive package for a legacy SEP @ < $20K !

Which airframes is the GFC500 STCd for?

Also you won’t get anywhere near that $20k, especially in Europe. More like 2x that, installed.

Very few people change their autopilot, for this reason. It’s too big and expensive job, if the original one works.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

?

Taken from the usual suspects, I get G5 AI certified = £2100 + G5 HSI+GAD (required for GFC500) certified = £2874 + GTN650 = £9495 + GTN 750 = £13995 + GFC500 = about £7000 expected, which sums up to well above £35K already for parts without being installed. So I guess a dual cockpit will be installed in the £50K ballpark.

Official Garmin pricing in US$ is
G5 with GAD29B 2975
GFC 6995
GTN 650 11800

Total 21770

HSI is not required – you could keep your existing one
You can also do a very simple installation and exchange the GTN with a GNC255.
If you already have a GTN you will be in the 10-12k range for AP+G5 add 5k for installation …

List of STCed airframes can be found here

I do have a KFC 200 and I am indeed strongly considering updating for the following reasons:
- I will get Altitude preselect which adding to my system will cost the price of the GFC alone
- I will get VS select which is not possible with a KFC 200
- I will get IAS hold which is very usefull to keep the engine cool during climbs
- I will get VNAV capability and indication
- I will get envelope protection
- 2 servo overhauls is basically the price for the GFC with servos
- I will gain usefull load
- with the installation of a second G5 I can remove my vaccum system and gain even more useful load
- the electrical installation of the G5 GFC Combo is very simple and requires only few wires as most of the signals are routed via CAN (we will see how complicated the mechanical part will be, but can‘t be to bad …)

I think that this indeed is a attractive package with lots of benefits over my old KFC …

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 14 Sep 12:15

I’m looking to do a complete re-fit on my CEssna Cardinal RG which the GFC 500 STC should be ready in the next 6 months or so.

Dual G5, GTN650 and GFC500 lists $23700 (GAD29B not needed) , but with street discounts should come in under $20K.

This should be a very straight forward install considering all 3 units use the ultra-simple CAN bus !

Last Edited by Michael at 14 Sep 12:31
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@Sir_Percy: Your list would be for a single G5 / single GTN install and without shipping and without taxes on parts plus shipping. Just add shipping and tax will bring your single list to 30k, not to speak of a double install. And this without any installation. To your other points: altitude preselect, vertical speed select, VNAV (GPSS+GPSV), envelope protection, save on servos OH, gain load you will also get with the 5k new FAA STC’ed digital autopilots, which brings the reference to under 10k including installation. Yes, the Garmin adds some nice features on top, but are they worth that much more money? It is a personal opinion, but I say Not.

I am still waiting for the first real world installation costs of GFC500 reported …
For reference, reported Tru’s and Trio’s run for about 5k to 7.5k including installation …

Btw: The G5 undoubtedly killed the AI/HSI market and I wonder if anybody still buys or let repair those devices – it just does not really make economical sense any longer.

@Michael: Although the GFC500 will work standalone with the G5, it will not talk to the GTN without GAD29. If you are replacing your AI and HSI and IFR GPS and Autopilot, costs really do not matter anyways, or? If you want to keep you equipment and only add G5 and/or Autopilot the world appears different.

Last Edited by at 14 Sep 12:43

dejwu wrote:

GFC500 will work standalone with the G5, it will not talk to the GTN without GAD29

Hmmm, does it need to ?

I mean I would think that it would install like most legacy systems, ie. the AP is driven by the HSI , not the navigator.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message