Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Certified ADS-B IN and OUT options (also collision avoidance, privacy, etc)

Howard wrote:

I doubt there are (m)any deliberately non-transponding pilots reading this forum. That’s the point isn’t it? The ones who don’t transpond mostly don’t take their flying terribly professionally / seriously. I wouldn’t mind that attitude if they didn’t also put my life at risk, but by not transponding they do!

I think this is a whole different issue, and doesn’t have anything to do with ADS-B, as they don’t have or use transponder anyway. It seems to me this issue depends on which country you would fly. For this issue, which seems to happen mainly in the UK there should be made more attention on the importance on transponder to both help preventing busting airspace as well as situational awareness for others.

I can see why mode S in the Netherlands is mandatory for a flight aboves 1200 Ft.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

JasonC wrote:

I meant that Garmin Pilot doesn’t filter them out.

It does not filter them out.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Many of the SIL=0 targets put out pure garbage, particularly portable ADS-B Out units such as SkyGuard that are available in the US and not applicable to Europe as they are UAT based.

@NCYankee Just out of curiosity, where does this go wrong do you think? In the GPS data, in processing in the unit, or the RF output?

For example there is a junkwerk brand of transponders which have all kind of issues, failing SLS, pulse timing out of tolerance, frequency out of tolerance and a bunch more. Which makes this transponder sometimes invisible, sometimes the data is incorrect, likely due to the pulse timing far out of tolerance), or visible multiple times on the screen of an ATC controller, which aren’t to happy about this products. With this product it is not the technology, mainly the poor design and quality which causes issues.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Mainly in UAT systems as there are some portables that can be received only sporadically by the ground stations, like 3 hits out of a 45 minute flight instead of once per second to multiple towers.

GPS systems that have no integrity and output bad altitudes or positions and don’t know they are bad. Invalid ground verses air status. If you are always detected on the ground, altitude will not be broadcast. Just general installation errors, you can see the invalid installations still climbing at around 20% rate. That is a big improvement in the US where it started out at 50+ %. If no one is checking, the installations are just terrible, so that is what I would expect in Europe.

KUZA, United States

Howard wrote:

My experience is that there is a lot of truth in what Peter says.

My impression is that this is mainly a UK phenomenon.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The problem is that a lot of people don’t want to talk about this. Everybody is proud of their own country.

I recall reading a post from a well known Italian pilot (I mean one who is actually based in Italy ) who said Italy has a large ultralight/sports (using the term loosely) community. When there was some big event and a big restricted area was set up, they all just turned off their transponders and carried on as before…

Similar stuff goes on elsewhere, for different reasons e.g. to do with a 6-month residence limit.

However the big Q is whether this translates to mid-airs. Are there stats on mid-airs in say Spain, France, Italy, Germany? I know the UK has about 2 a year. But the typical mission profile varies between these countries; that much is obvious from a number of visits, never mind talking to local pilots.

Also, where GA density is low to nonexistent, mid-airs will not happen no matter what people do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is a bit surprising that the schools don’t invest in some of this technology. A Garmin 660 plus a GLD39 would improve overall situational awareness and help spot traffic for a very small investment. Might take the challenge out of ded reckoning nav exercises. Might also reduce the incentive to use the Mark 1 eyeball for lookout. But there must be a strong safety case for this?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know the UK has about 2 a year

Actual collisions ?? or near misses?

Looking at the AAIB website (and querying my memory) I can only think of 2-3 in the last decade or so.
https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports?keywords=mid+air&date_of_occurrence%5Bfrom%5D=&date_of_occurrence%5Bto%5D=

Collisions.

Near misses… thousands probably.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Re: collisions, I couldn’t find any more on the AAIB.

For the near misses, I’d think you’re off by probably (at least) an order of magnitude. I know a good number might not be reportet, but that would mean 3 a day. They supposedly wouldn’t be in CAS, leaving likely the vincinity of small non-towered aerodrome (and maybe some popular VORs like CPT).
I flew a few hundreds of times from White Waltham, which is very busy, and never had what I consider a “near” occurence. If there were thousands of “near misses” (near collision really), then I’d probably have been involved in a few, and certainly heard a ton of them.

Sign in to add your message