Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 Autopilot KAP150

You could try downloading the fault log……..it could point you in the right direction.

ooh – didn’t know you could do that – if you could point me in the right direction that would be great !

United Kingdom

In our C182S with KAP140 there is a serial female jack connector under the pilots yoke where you can connect a male jack like the largest plug used to connect headsets. This is a serial port which you can, with the right adapter, connect to a laptop with a serial port. When connected and with the AP powered on, you can download the error log.

I have a wireing diagram for the adapter cable, but was unable to attach it from my tablet. If you are interested, I can email it. It might be a different type of connector in your aircraft, though.

ENKJ, Norway

Skylane-pilot wrote:

In our C182S with KAP140 there is a serial female jack connector under the pilots yoke where you can connect a male jack like the largest plug used to connect headsets. This is a serial port which you can, with the right adapter, connect to a laptop with a serial port. When connected and with the AP powered on, you can download the error log.

The same adapter cable is used for the KFC 225 — possibly also for the KAP 150?

It is really useful for diagnosis. Not only can you download the error log, but you can check all sensor inputs, run the servos etc.

kfc225_config_cable_pdf

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

From my 30GB avionics manuals private library…

kap100_kap150_kfc150_STC_IM_TB10_TB20_pdf

Should be in there.

Hmmm I can’t see it. This AP is from about 1980 so maybe it doesn’t have a serial config/debug port.

The KFC225 is from 1999 and is a fully digital autopilot. The KFC150 is from a similar era to the KFC225. The ’225 port is 9600 baud 8 bits no parity and you just run e.g. Teraterm on a laptop, with a USB-RS232 converter if necessary.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

i don’t recall seeing any female socket that this cable could plug into, but will look. is there an app that runs on a pc that will talk to the autopilot or is it just a serial terminal connection – if so what baud rate ? where can i find a description of all this ?

thanks guys !

United Kingdom

There is no diagnostic connection for a KAP150. Really needs the KTS break-out test set connecting to see what’s going on.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

What exactly “refuses to engage”? What does pressing the AP button result in?

Various things can prevent an autopilot running e.g. a duff heading input.

I don’t know of any UK avionics shop with autopilot expertise… not sure what people do when this sort of thing happens. Well, I do know some send all the parts to Autopilots Central in the US, but it could be a wiring issue.

@Mark_R posts moved to previous thread on this topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Wigglyamp – any idea who has a KTS break-out test set in the UK ?

@Peter – pressing AP ENG followed by ALT and HDG or NAV results in nothing happening. Previously it would sometimes engage and then drop out with the beep, beep you sometimes get with excessive turbulence. Now there’s just nothing. Looking like the only options are to take it to one of the few Bendix-King service centres in Europe – France (where we sent the KC191 for bench testing), Germany or Poland, but it’s a long way for a diagnosis…

United Kingdom

Avionicare at Southend and Tatenhill Aviation are the remaining Bendix-King authorised dealers in the UK.
I had access to a test set until a couple of weeks ago but it’s been relocated as the business has exited GA.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 04 Aug 21:16
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message