Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A combined terrain + airspace warning solution, yoke mountable? (and Aera 660)

Just been digging around google on 660 connectivity etc. Found some snippets:

I am trying to find out whether there is any way to transfer a flight plan from the Autorouter to the 660, via WIFI. One can do it over RS232 from a GNS/GTN box.

I had some discussions with Garmin about the airspace. There doesn’t appear to be any shortage in the obvious places (like Q41 airway missing) but I got this snippet from them

where the line pointed to by the red arrow relates to nothing on the real chart:

The 496 has exactly the same issue – the display is full of lines and none of the declutter levels displays airspace which looks real.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A reason might be that many printed charts have a “level cap”. On the German DFS chart, it is FL100. I guess it might be FL195 on the UK chart? The Garmin handheld contain ALL the airspace data and AFAIK, there is no vertical filtering.

Another reason could be that chart publishers decide to omit certain types if they have no real significance to the civilian VFR Flyer (like some Military operations Areas which are not designated as restricted areas). Again, the Garmin handhelds contain all the data.

From my experience with Garmin handhelds (mostly 196 and aera 550), these units are good for navigating from A to B, but useless for general airspace awareness / “chart display” purposes.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Aug 14:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, up to FL195.

Can anyone check if Garmin Pilot shows the line at the red arrow? Someone has just told me that GP looks pretty much the same but can’t check that specific line.

I have just checked all the map formats in Flitestar and none of them show it, so I am confident it doesn’t exist in terms of any airspace at any level.

I don’t use this box for airspace awareness (have a tablet for that) and one assumes the airspace warnings are probably still accurate but this does look pretty weird.

Administrator

The big plus of the GDL39 is that it works as an AHRS which may be of some help if you experience a vacuum failure. Agreed as an ADSB solution in the current climate it is of no practical use in Europe. I usually forget to take it with me and then when we have an AI problem as we did last weekend I wish I had it in my bag.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter do you mean that the external AHRS makes the “instrument panel” page work more accurately? Currently (as on the 496) it works from GPS data only so e.g. no track change → wings level, no altitude change → no pitch. Or does the 660 have an “AI” page?

EDIT: I found it… this is the mode

Administrator

Garmin Pilot is better but still shows nonexistent stuff

The CAA chart shows N863 with a FL125 base but not that shape.

Skydemon:

EasyVFR appears most correct but has that weird line (which may or may not be real):

Administrator

After some discussions, my verdict would be:

No evidence of missing airspace in the Aera 660, EVFR, SD, GP, but only EVFR merges identical-class airspace correctly, to get close to the CAA chart, with one small artefact as shown.

I doubt any handheld “aviation” GPS merges airspace, hence the mess. That also explains the permanent mess on the Garmin 496 whose “map” bears no relation to anything I have ever seen on paper. It’s just lines all over the place.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

whose “map” bears no relation to anything I have ever seen on paper. It’s just lines all over the place.

That’s exactly what I see when looking at that airspace… on any device…

BTW, thanks for posting back all that you’ve learned about the 660 so far. Good info to have. Was a little concerned about maps expiring and the device being essentially bricked, so that’s good to know. Dodge the Jepp.

Also, I use a 796 and I am really not impressed with the AI function of it…
Flying through some decent mountain passes here in the Rockies, I didn’t see much resemblance to what I was looking at on the ground.
The terrain looks like it is derived from the older SRTM data… which makes marshmallows out of mountains.

AF wrote:

The terrain looks like it is derived from the older SRTM data… which makes marshmallows out of mountains.

What resolution is the terrain? For syn vis on Garmin panels it must be at least 9arc-seconds. Mine is currently 4.9.

EGTK Oxford

Got this from Garmin:

I wonder if Autorouter can send a flight plan to the 660. I recall Navbox struggling with flight plan upload over USB; there were all kinds of issues concerning the way waypoints are represented and what happens if a waypoint of the same name already exists (which usually it will of course). In fact Navbox gave up after the 296, IIRC. However Autorouter is just a page in a web browser; it can’t access a USB device unless the device presents itself as a logical drive or some such…?

BTW the terrain warnings on the old G496 were very accurate. I would fly towards a 500ft cliff (Beachy Head) at 400ft or 600ft and it would warn, or not. Very impressive.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message