Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to construct this 3D alternator cooling adapter shape in metal?

I didn’t want to pick up the through bolts because I know (from a mockup unit B&C sent me in 2013 when I started on this project) that they are incredibly tight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would probably have looked at extending the duct with a pair of ears to pick up on the alternator through bolts, and use a female mold probably constructed from wood with filler.

The “3D credit” goes to @Aveling actually

Last time I did 3D modelling was with Solid Edge, sometime in the 20th century

Interesting 3M adhesive… I suspect it is very similar to the (similarly ultra expensive so hey it must be good) Loctite one I used.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am not sure if any adhesive bonds carbon fibre to aluminium (well).

just as ref. if you ever have to do something
this will do it for sure also works well in “warm” envirement

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Scotch-Weld-Structural-Adhesive-EC-7236-B-A/?N=5002385+3292667558&rt=rud

we used this stuff to bond carbon chassis, also carbon suspension componants with titanium inserts etc.

Peter wrote:

How would you make the mould?

for a part similar like this were only 1 item is needed, you could do it with a “positive” mould (could be nicely done in 3d with smooth radius etc) from a material that can get “lost” after laminating. making the “positive mold” from a high temp wax could be one example, than after a long curing proces of the cfk with the raisin, the “positive mould” could get “lost” with high temp (melting away)

this would be one way I hope I explained it good enought to understand

in german (may if interested google translater)
https://www.konstruktionspraxis.vogel.de/von-3d-gedruckter-form-zum-gfk-hohlkoerper-a-462827/
https://www.konstruktionspraxis.vogel.de/index.cfm?pid=7506&pk=462827&fk=0&type=article some pics

But Peter you did a mega job on this from idea to planing to mfg and installation great to see!!!

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 27 Jun 14:40
fly2000

How would you make the mould?

How would it be attached to the alternator? I am not sure if any adhesive bonds carbon fibre to aluminium (well).

Administrator

That’s one way of doing the job, I would probably opted to build the duct from carbon fibre.

Installed:

The cable ties are just to hold it in place while the epoxy (Loctite EA9492; special high temp stuff) goes off.

The cooling air provision is optional anyway.

Administrator

Printed in aluminium:

200 quid.

Administrator

great to hear Peter

maybe you can ask ur friend to modify the drw a bit if you want to have a bit optimized air flow to something along the red line to avoid some “low press” pockets

fly2000

Here we go… a friend has very kindly done the 3D drawing and got some printing firm to produce it in some plastic. I had to file the mating edges around a little though

Administrator
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message