Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

Yes; much better to go for e.g. a G500 and some GTNs. But that is expensive if the plane has a G1000 currently – it’s a lot of work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But that is expensive if the plane has a G1000 currently – it’s a lot of work

There is still a lot of planes out there which have conventional cockpits. So when buying, you take your decision and make your choice. I know how mine would be, had I got to do it again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Does anyone has any news about G1000 upgrades to waas ?
I ask for a DA40 but other types have the same issues.

On Garmin’s website, the NXi upgrade is only allowed for King Air, TBM, Mustang, Phenom and M500.

LFOU, France

The question appears to be wether the GIA64W works with the old G1000 cockpits and if it does wether it will be allowed to replace the GIA63 non Waas. If so, the problem would be solved, if not, well, one more reason to run far and fast from used non-waas G1000 planes.

For me, this puts in question the whole integrated avionic lines. If I see how easy it is to upgrade existing steam cockpits with quitte good solutions, upgrading the G1000 like series is a major hassle if not impossible. As it’s been mentioned: monopolies are a very bad thing indeed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Jujupilote, to NXi or to WAAS?
I always thought that for WAAS upgrade of G1000 you need to replace GIA63x2 with GIA63Wx2, and that is it.
Allegedly, few years ago the cost was around ~$30K.

EGTR

I meant to Waas in general, up to NXi if necessary.
I ask for the used 2006 DA40 I fly, stuck with a non-was G1000

LFOU, France

I have had some input on this topic from someone close to the product(s).

The AP can be configured to interface with an EFIS (digitally via A429) or to analog instruments (discrete) to decode the selected sensor. Overall both configurations do the same:
GPS_sel ILS_energ
VOR sen 0 0
LOC sen 0 1
GPS sen 1 -

Then when GPS_sel=1 you can have the GPSS available when GPS_RollSteer=1. The GPS data can come via analog signals or A429.

Then you can choose your mode and have lat/vert tracking available:

VOR sen LOC sen GPS sen

Lat avail nav/apr nav/apr/rev nav/apr
Vert avail – apr -

For VOR the nav/apr mean normal/tighter tracking. For LOC the nav mode causes to deliberately inhibit the GS. For GPS the ILS_energ=1 means tighter tracking.

There is no way you can make the KAP140/KFC225 track the GPS glide path (LPV) when the GPS_sel=1. There is no vertical input for the GPS data. And if it does work for someone it’s just because he does not have the GPS_sel wired and the LPV analogs are used as fake ILS signals as LOC/GS (this is common).

Not having GPS_sel wired may cause (and will I’d say) not having GPS roll steer available at all.

Too bad HBK never updated the 225 (140) for a real WAAS GPS support. It would have been fairly simple. Now you can only select between bad (no roll steer) or bad (no vertical LPV).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just wanted to bump this thread to inform you that we succeed in catching the attention of Diamond aircraft owners in signing our petition but more importantly we caught Diamond’s attention and they will have proposal on upgrade path. However, to strengthen our position and to provide both Diamond and Garmin with data of potential number of aircraft owners interested in upgrades, any owner/operator is more that welcome to list his/her aircraft in table located at link below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wFNWL0GSDQ28x-B-qv8mkGyGa5ILP4BMlPthdNKZo6Q/edit#gid=0

Just pick appropriate section (DA40/DA42) and provide basic data: owner/operator, serial number, registration, engine type, autopilot type, availability of WAAS and G1000 software version installed (if you know it).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Jujupilote wrote:

I ask for the used 2006 DA40 I fly, stuck with a non-was G1000

Joining the petition is one of the ways for stressing this problem and getting manufacturer’s attention. It’s almost hard to believe but I’m aware of the owner whose brand new (three weeks old) DA62 became “legacy” during sitting in factory and waiting for delivery because it was equipped with GIA63W from the last available batch. It’s questionable if those can be replaced with GIA64W for his particular airframe.

Peter wrote:

LPV analogs are used as fake ILS signals as LOC/GS (this is common).

This is probably how Diamond has done WAAS upgrade for KAP140 based DA42 (besides replacing GIA63 with GIA63W). I believe they made few upgrades of this kind.

BTW Probably everybody knows that GIA63W is not available any more for purchase and GIA64W is its replacement. This will open another set of issues of compatibility with older G1000 boxes, so I guess going to NXi will be the only solution. We’ll see what times brings and until I get clear picture on available and sensible options I’ll happily continue to fly without ability to execute LPV approaches.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Emir wrote:

without ability to execute LPV approaches.

Is it really necessary ?

I wonder if sometimes, a significant amount of GIA63W will hit the used market, due to owners upgrading to NXI or needing to move to GIA64W for some reason.

Sign in to add your message