Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Nordic WX site

10 Posts

A consortium of the MET offices in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, and Estonia has launched a common weather briefing web site. It requires registration which you can get if have a pilot’s license issued by one of these countries or otherwise operate out of one of them.

Apart from usual stuff like TAFs and METARs, satellite and radar pics, European forecast chars, you get all prognostic charts and GA forecasts issued by the countries involved (e.g. the Nordic SWC) as well some DWD (German) ones.

As Peter has frequently pointed out, the European MET offices has proprietary forecast data similar to the US GFS data but with higher resolution and accuracy. You can access that data on this website, but unfortunately only have it presented as charts and not as a vertical route profile like the GRAMET.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Can you post some screen shots?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

Can you post some screen shots?

Here’s the configurable start screen where you can choose different information (including pan and zoom of the maps).

…and here’s a low level icing forecast for noon tomorrow.

The Q I would have is whether there any any reason to believe this data is better than what we can currently get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The Q I would have is whether there any any reason to believe this data is better than what we can currently get.

Compared to GFS based products, that’s what you have always said…

Compared to other products I have no idea.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Mar 08:14

Do they have MSLP charts?

Icing forecasts are IMHO worthless (for light GA).

My main criticism is that Europe doesn’t release 3D data, from which e.g. a “gramet” type plot could be produced.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Do they have MSLP charts?

Yes, of course. The same ones that everyone else have.

Icing forecasts are IMHO worthless (for light GA).

My main criticism is that Europe doesn’t release 3D data, from which e.g. a “gramet” type plot could be produced.

Well, the Autorouter GRAMET includes icing data… Anyway, there are plans to provide a GRAMET-like vertical cut.

The same ones that everyone else have.

Are they the same as the UK ones e.g. today:

Administrator

Yes.

Peter wrote:

Signing up is free and it gives you access to lots of weather data for the Nordics region in a nice dashboard layout. I appreciate that. For the same stuff in Germany, I’m still paying an annual subscription fee.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message