Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Building a kit plane: Kitfox S7 versus Rans S21 (or continue dreaming of a RV)?

Silvaire wrote:

There is no need for a refund – the tax is never charged

We get hammered for import duty + VAT when the item lands on European shores….
LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom
Coda wrote:
We get hammered for import duty + VAT when the item lands on European shores….

You should not be charged import duty IIRC – civil aircraft parts are exempt by treaty both ways although I noticed last time I scanned the regulation that this officially applies only to certified aircraft. European national VAT is another matter, I’ve been occasionally charged German VAT even for parts ordered for shipment to the US! Germany specifically has a rule in this regard covering export of personal vehicle parts and in that case VAT still officially applies. However, I’ve dealt with several different vendors and in most cases the vendor has shipped as commercial vehicle parts or sold them to me off the books.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Feb 22:15

There is no import duty on AIRCRAFT PARTS but you need to make sure the suppliers marks the paperwork (not the package – nobody looks at the package) accordingly, very clearly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The question appears which sub-categories are included when looking at microlight accident statistics.

Just comparable 3-axis ULM. Again, you may chose (as aparantly many have) this to be sufficiently safe for you. I won’t judge.

Last Edited by mh at 06 Feb 04:20
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Just comparable 3-axis ULM

Wow! In that case the statistics are pretty impressive……

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Food for thought, certainly. You still have to take into account
1. hours/year flown per pilot in microlights vs certified planes,
2. formation of SPL vs PPL A – pilots,
3. Risk mitigation strategies by these two groups,
4. mechanical failure rate of ML vs certified planes
5. Maintenance concepts
6. Conceptional differences (wing loading, gust susceptibility/landing …)
7. Avionics, the glass cockpit rate may even be higher in ML, which may or may not lure into “pseudo-IFR”-flying.
8. Country differences (i remember data as cited by mh for France, but not for Germany. French ML pilots appear to differ from german ML pilots. As Swiss are Germans squared, you may expect differences).
All these variables are unknown to me, I only have an educated guess. Maybe mh has more.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 06 Feb 07:28
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

@Silvaire

What’s the difference between the Millennium cylinders you referred and the original ones from Continental which I got?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

What would be the price of a factory new O200 firewall forward package (excl. prop)?

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

@MikeWhiskey

What’s your budget?

• Purchase price
  • Total cost of ownership per year

You mentioned 15k above. If you meant CHF 15k total cost per year, then you have a reasonable working budget if you can hangar the plane at a reasonable price (difficult) and nothing big comes up in terms of maintenance or upgrades.

Have you considered joining an ownership group, if available in your area? Although that comes with its own downsides, it might be a gentler, guided, and more cost-effective entry to ownership. Your own plane is quite expensive if you fly less than 100 hours, due to fixed costs of probably around CHF 3k-5k p.a., perhaps more.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

a_kraut wrote:

There is a video of a Beech King Air landing at Courchevel

I also know a Beech King Air 200 that landed very heavily at Courcheval causing extensive damage

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message