Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

International overflight permissions and privileges for microlights / ultralights / UL / ULM

The French ULM licence is valid for life without need for revalidation or currency.
There are 6 classes and you would need to pass a competency test with an instructor in each of them if you to fly them all.
With a PPL there is no necessity for.a theory exam..I think. The helicopter class 6 might need a bit more training if you don’t have a PPLH and that might also need a bit of theory not covered in PPLA. I don’t actually know. The same might apply to class 5 gyrocopters.
The thing with all the ULM classes is that if you can show an instructor that you can fly that type of machine safely you can get your licence. No fixed training or theory hours.
You get a stamp in your licence for each class of ULM you can fly.
Since about 2 years ago the hours flown in a 3 axis ULM can be counted towards your 12 hours of exeperience to revalidate your PPL and I assume it also counts towards the hours of experience you need to revalidate an LAPL.
I don’t know if the same applies to the PPLH but I would have thought so.
Otherwise there is no necessity to keep a log book or record of flight time.
On You Tube there are videos of a couple of French guys in a Super Guépard as part of a group of 3 ULMs going from Fréjus France to Italy and then doing tour of parts of Italy including Venice. I have only watched the 1st part. Fréjus along the south coast of France past Nice and Monaco and into their first stop in Italy.
The video and sound is not good and of course it is in French but the sight of 2 Froggies who obviously enjoy their croissants might help Mooney feel a bit better about a future in flying.🙂🙃

France

Dan wrote:

A Swiss UL licence I guess. Ok, but what can I do with that? Does this Swiss UL category encompass the ecolight and microlight categories, or has all this stuff been renamed into UL?
That’s a very good question. AFAIK, the ecolight category must be flown with an EASA license, hence minimum LAPL. We had an Ikarus C42 in Buochs before, which was HB-registered by FOCA as an Ecolight. This one was sold to Germany and continues to fly as LTF-UL with a D-Mxxx callsign, without any modifications.

A microlight category however seems to be a ‘real’ UL in Switzerland, but there aren’t any microlights registered with FOCA yet. They all are either Ecolight or LSA for now, but things might change in the future. The Swiss UL license was introduced to give Swiss citizens a legal opportunity to legally fly a foreign UL within Swiss airspace, as it’s not allowed by FOCA to fly under a foreign UL license within Swiss airspace for Swiss citizens. This topic is documented by FOCA here (check slide 15). Also, the license seems to be a preparation for future HB-registered UL aircraft (microlight), which would be required to fly a Swiss UL for both national and foreign citizens.

The following text is printed on my Swiss UL license: “Issued in accordance with VABFP (SR 748.222.1)”. The official license titel is “UL (A)” with “Piston UL (A)” as propulusion method. The license or class types have no expiry date. Funny enough, the license does include my RTF privileges and language proficiencies.
Last Edited by Frans at 20 Sep 11:26
Switzerland

Thanks for all that explaining @Frans.
It looks like I have some studying to do… I completely missed the revision for this sector of the GA, which are also nicely explained in De, Fr, or It, in the Reglement für Flugpersonal.

Today was a day rich in learning about all this light stuff: first my visit to LSZE, where the hangars house some flying objects FOCA don’t like so much, and the only Swiss motorised trike, which is in the experimental (not homebuilt) category. Then reading the info you provided above. And now studying what FOCA published on the subject.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Latest summary:

MLA_flying_in_Europe_23_06_2023_pdf

Isn’t it out of date? I thought that in Spain MLA are not restricted to 1000AGL anymore.

EGTR

The list is maintained by one person. He can be contacted regarding updates and errors, see front pages of the document. I’m sure he would need proper references though

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Spanish change is very recent. @Aart will know more.

Keeping these docs up to date is clearly very hard because within the UL (and Annex 1) communities there is a great deal of a) denial and b) incorrect information posted everywhere online, plus c) the regs are national and often very hard to find because different countries keep their national laws in different places.

I would expect a UL can be flown between all countries which allow UL visitors, provided your country of UL license issue matches the country of UL aircraft registration, with the proviso that a UL whose weight is not accepted by both respective countries obviously cannot do that flight. This AIUI was the main reason the increase from 450kg was resisted by many.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not that recent.. 2022. The law is clear as per my post of sep 17th above. Disappointing that this has not been included in the latest issue of the EMF publication, and a bit surprising because Spain is represented in that organisation. I guess it has to do with the fact that it’s an organisation consisting of volunteers, enthusiastic and hard working as they may be.

Last Edited by aart at 03 Oct 12:31
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Here’s the latest on flying an Annex 1 aircraft in Spain, now official. Congratulations to all persons in the GA sector who persisted and finally won.

In a nutshell:

Annex 1 aircraft registered in other EU states can fly here all year round, subject to submitting a declaration, so no approval is required. A standard form needs to be used. Prior registration to be able to fill in the form is required. I cannot find anything in the documentation that would prohibit anyone (Spanish of other EU-resident) from stationing a foreign-reg Annex 1 aircraft here.. There are no charges involved.

Annex 1 aircraft registered in non-EU states can fly here up-to a maximum of 180 days per year, subject to submitting a request 15 days in advance and prior approval. A standard form applies. No charges.

Here

This is also useful.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Annex 1 aircraft registered in other EU states can fly here all year round, subject to submitting a declaration…

Annex 1 aircraft registered in non-EU states can fly here up-to a maximum of 180 days per year, subject to submitting a request ….

I assume this refers to Annex 1 aircraft without an ICAO-compliant CofA, notably ULs and homebuilts? I don’t see why Spain would restrict certified Annex 1 aircraft such as the Piper Cub.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message